slow speed steering turn in

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farleydog

Reaction score
My bike wants to turn in sharper when I am turning at slow speeds, ie. residential neighborhood just putting around and turning onto another street. I have to hold the handlebars to keep it from turning all the way in. I have no death wobble at least up to 100mph and no deceleration wobble around 45mph anymore after tightening the steering nut according to Morely's video. Is this normal or do I have something to adjust or work on?
Also, anyone around the Lincoln area with a carbsync? I'll donate a refreshment or two or three. I think i'm done messing with the homemade carbsync gauges.

If bearing all set up right I found if my tire pressure is a bit off that happens....worth a check

If bearing all set up right I found if my tire pressure is a bit off that happens....worth a check

When I read that description, that's what I thought too. Good call. Don't assume that because you checked the pressure two weeks ago, "it's got to be good!" I once picked up a 1/8" Craftsman allen key in my brand-new Dunlop K491 rear tire w/less than a week of use on it. For your own safety, you have to discard it. Still have that &*^%$$#!** allen key, though.

Is the suspension stock? If you lower the front end without changing the rear to match, it will turn in more readily and steer quicker. That said, a lot of riders prefer the quicker steering. If it feels like it is falling in, then I suspect the front tire pressure as stated above.

suspension is stock. rear shocks at softess setting. front air psi @ 8. I'm a trim :biglaugh:, 5-11 and 250. I'll check tire pressure but I'm pretty sure they're both around 35 psi. I'd like to lower it about an inch so I'm comfy and flat footed and a stop. I might cut the seat foam down a tad.

Stock set up is 33 Front and 36 Rear.
A few more PSI will allow the tire to have a smaller contact patch therefore giving the feel of an easier push/pull on the bars.. The difference of 3 PSI is enormous, at least on Stockers.

-KarmaKatt-

what type of bike did you have before? I know when I went from my FZ1 to riding my Vmax it would feel like that also. I was used to it so no big deal.

The tires were indeed low. Aired them up and it seems better. Thanks for the advice!!!
One more question, is it typical for the engine to make more noise at idle when it is in neutral vs in gear with the clutch pulled in?

The tires were indeed low. Aired them up and it seems better. Thanks for the advice!!!
One more question, is it typical for the engine to make more noise at idle when it is in neutral vs in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Yes it is....mine has done it from day 1.

My bike wants to tip in if I'm going real slow (think parking lot manuevers). I usually just adjust my body position or feather in a bit more throttle. It's a heavy bike.

If you tighten the steering nut to tight it makes the bike want to turn.

Back