Small black plastic pieces in inner fork tube?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '99.

I'm doing progressive springs and oil & dust seals. Everything came apart fine but............in the inner fork tube, just above the Oil lock piece there is some sort of retaining ring. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the on-line repair manual. I noticed 2 or 3 small pieces of broken black plastic on or near this ring.

I would like to get it out and see where the plastic pieces came from, but can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

dan

Are you talking about the cir-clip below the dust seal? Have you removed the damper rod yet?

The only items below the damper rod in the fork tube is the rebound spring and then oil lock piece. There's a bushing too that's an interference fit with bushing in slider. Below the dust seal in the slider are cir clip, oil seal, spacer. I'm wondering if those pieces you see are from either the damper rod or spacer.

Are you talking about the cir-clip below the dust seal? Have you removed the damper rod yet?

The only items below the damper rod in the fork tube is the rebound spring and then oil lock piece. There's a bushing too that's an interference fit with bushing in slider. Below the dust seal in the slider are cir clip, oil seal, spacer. I'm wondering if those pieces you see are from either the damper rod or spacer.

Mark-Yes damper rods are removed. The tube on the right, the one with the oil lock piece removed, is where the plastic pieces were. I found 2 small pieces maybe the size of the lead in a pencil, 3/16" long. You can see a ring in there, it would be right at the end of the oil lock piece. Is it maybe just a stop for the oil lock piece?
It appears that ring is made of black plastic and some of it has broken but I can't figure out how to get it out to inspect it.

Thanks for the help,
dan

Attachments

• Fork tubes.jpg
    Fork tubes.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back