Small engine-big on style + 1960 era bikes from catalogs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Built by an Argentinean, a 210 cc Gilera, his first custom effort. I think it demonstrates you don't need 1000 cc+ to make an interesting bike.

attachment.php

attachment.php

From the side, you don't have a good sense of the narrow nature of the bike, but the rear view shows it off. I like the girder, a Sachs, and the fabricated unique fairing topping it. It's minimal, you have to look for it.

Gileras and other European bikes were sold by Sears in the 1960's as their 'Allstate' brand.

Montgomery Wards also sold re-badged European bikes, including dual-purpose bikes. Their bikes were 'Riverside' badged, and dual-purpose bikes were 'Mojave.' The dual-purpose body lines favored the Rickman Brothers 'Metisse.' Supposedly Steve McQueen was retained to help them develop their offerings.

I remember pouring over those ads in the catalogs, and dreaming about owning one.

Anyone recognize the NFL stars in the ad? I'm guessing they're vintage 1965, when they would probably have been lucky to earn $35,000/year which according to the Consumer Price Index today would be equivalent to ~$257,000.

ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx

ClickHandler.ashx

ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx

ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx

ClickHandler.ashx

I'm gonna guess, the guy in the short-sleeved shirt is Gale Sayres? And Ronnie Bull on the right? Rudy Bukich on the left? In other words, since both Montgomery Wards and Sears were based in Chicago, it was easy to use the Bears as ad fodder.

All 3 are right FM, the 4th is Jon Arnett. Jon the jaguar played for the rams too.
Love the benelli.

I found Arnett's pic too, but wasn't sure that was him. Thanks for the confirmation.

Yes, I like the Benelli bikes they sold, and Benellis in general. I think the Benelli emblem is the prettiest in all of motorcycling. Though among the rough trade bikers, that may not be the best quality to espouse.
ClickHandler.ashx

The jellybean tank that the 1960's Ducatis used is a really-good shape, and the Benellis used one very similar. The Triumph twin 'wasp-waist' tank is another gorgeous one, and I have always liked the Norton Commando peanut tank.
ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx

ClickHandler.ashx

What a great post, the vintage gear and the small caliber custom is great! It's nice to see talented builders/fabricators doing bikes without the S&S 45deg twin. It's as much of a treat as seeing a T-Bucket without an SBC.

My second bike was a 69 Bonnie, loved it. Nothing like original vintage equipment like these and customs that take cues from them.

Latest posts

Back