so i modded the exhaust yesterday

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxjr

Reaction score
should i be overly concerned about rejetting?
i only put about 20 miles on it afterwards. like i read here, no noticable power difference but it is for sure louder.
this is what i can do till i can afford a kerker. i'm used to buying whole bikes for the cost of a kerker.
i plan on doing a plug chop later today.

still looking for a rust free used exhaust and the middle seat section since mine is torn.

so far this bike exceeds my expectations on performance but i come to realise it cost a TON more to build than my kz's.

after i modded the exhaust i did go to the beach (lake ontario) trolling for a harley.
i did pull up next to a harley. i looked and gave the little nod.
he said, and i quote, i'm not stupid.

i normally don't do that, screwing around on the street, but i was feeling a little naughty with the bike's new sound.

did you do the 5 holes on the outer baffle, or did you punch a hole in the inner? i modded my stock exhaust as well, and as the forum and the rest of the internet thinks, you shouldn't have to mind yourself with a re-jet. i do think, though, that i have lost a little "something" in the midrange--i can still "get on it", but feels like its punch isn't as intense. but maybe it's because i'm getting use to the Gs.

You do go rich when you drill the mufflers. I'd take a look at your plugs. Would probably benefit by going to a smaller main and leaner PAJ2.

Good idea, I would try the pilot screws first. Then, do a top end run and shut down quick so you can see what the plugs look like.

I did the 5 hole mod to my pipes, shot video yesterday so I can compare after I put install Marks exhaust later this week. I haven't yet seen anyvideo of this setup on here except at idle, I thought I'd shoot video of the bike under acceleration. Hopefully, these videos will help some of you decide on the 5 hole mod before you drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUlTWKxbChs

nice vids, sounds just like mine did. i'm installing a Marks on mine now, i got the factory one tore off saturday after work.

SpecOps, I got started on the exhaust job last night. Nice vids by the way. I dropped the stock mufflers w/o any problem and still have the front headers remaining to go. I was wondering about the rear headers, after I took them off at the clamp, I noticed there were some sort of extensions coming out of the heads, do those stay or do they also have to come off? And when I link make up the new exhaust, do the front headers go in the bottom pipe of the 2-1's or the top pipe of the 2-1's

The extensions need to go, and the front pipes go in the bottom flange. Keep everything loose until you get it all together securely then tighten up the head bolts in a alternating order. It's pretty easy to do so you should have no troubles. Are you putting on new exhaust gaskets?

Thanks fellas, and yes Redbone, I have new OEM gaskets to use. Update: I got the job done, everything except tightening things up as I haven't yet figured out how to turn the inside allen nuts that hold on the rear headers.

I used a "hacksaw shortened" 5/16 or 8mm allen wrench to do mine. Others here have used a allen socket to do it. Its a tight fit either way.

a gearwrench and a very short 8mm allen key works decent

Latest posts

Back