So I'm pretty sure this shouldn't happen....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out what was making carb#1 hiss when the choke was on, not make vacuum (unsyncable), and figure out why I had hanging revs on throttle blip...

SO, I fiddled around with the choke lever and saw gas on the little brass tube coming through the rubber plunger/cover/thing (you know). I'm ready to order a new gasket and rubber outer unless you guys think it's something else.

I'm also going to get new pilot jets since my #2 a/f screw makes no difference right now and I think I set #3 leaner than all the others. I also need to check those levels on the bench and redo my base sync.

Thoughts on the process?

Hanging idle is typically a lean condition. Double check for air leaks.
As far as the choke plunger leak, you should just need a o-ring. Unless the outer rubber piece is is bad shape (torn, brittle) no need to replace that.

Pilot jets can be usually be cleaned if soaked in solvent. Not so sure that will help with the A/F screw having no effect though.

Best thing you can do is remove the carbs and go thru them meticulously. Replace parts as needed with OEM. Set the floats. Bench synch. Set screws to 2.5 turns out, fire up the bike and then synch with manometer. Its not as hard as it is time consuming.

Doing the above will eliminate a lot of issues and wondering.

Also, You need to carefully inspect all rubber boots. Airbox to carbs, carbs to manifold, and vboost to manifold. Any cracks, or brittle rubber needs replaced. Best way to check boots is to hold them up to a light and bend/sqeeze them and look for any signs of damage.

Is it possible that my air leak is through that rubber grommet surrounding the brass shaft? I was pretty surprised to see gas coming out of there. I was thinking that an airtight seal should also hold liquids in, but I might be wrong on that. that rubber piece might be a bit stiff, but it's certainly not beat up looking.

This just sucks because I JUST got done with a complete teardown of my carbs. Maybe some bits of stuff got blown through my old fuel lines. I might just get new lines anyway so I know they aren't the problem. I'll do a better check of the boots involved to see if one of them might be cracked enough to leak.

Ok. Sprayed starter fluid all around boots above and below carbs. No surging from that. So I decided to take some pictures.
1 looks super rich, 2, 3, 4 look at least similar to each other.
1+2
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hDw3GPNwI3T9uHTffEGQ6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlinkhttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lEWWGu3BOejMsaUmzWc-3NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
lEWWGu3BOejMsaUmzWc-3NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

3+4
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hDw3GPNwI3T9uHTffEGQ6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
hDw3GPNwI3T9uHTffEGQ6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Looks like I'm taking stuff apart again this weekend.

Latest posts

Back