So my clutch is taking a dump....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Looking at the DD mod and PCW's , Barnett etc..... I am just afraid since I am not easy on the bike, that I would lose a gear, blow a driveshaft etc. if I got with the DD setup.

I love the sound of second gear power wheelies etc..... I am all about the power, but I am also all about being able to ride with little down time when something goes wrong.

So those with stock bikes and did the DD mod.... how are they holding up and what is your riding style?

Those with built bikes and the DD mod, how is it holding up and have you broken anything or modified anything else to make use of the extra grip the clutch offers?

Right now I just noticed a few times in 5th gear, 55 mph with full wot, once Vboost area kicked in around 7000 rpm, it spun up a little and then caught. Did it a couple times so far. I tried to get it to do it and it doesn't happen. Just once in awhile so far out of the blue.

So I am thinking if I did the DD setup, did a full friction in back etc, that I might be ok with the stock clutches for the rest of the riding season here possibly.

I really need to buy a second Vmax.....:biglaugh:
Thanks
Todd

I have an 85 stock bike with DD setup, did a full friction in back etc. I'm thinking on my next oil change I a m going to add a half quart of Mobil 1 (full synthetic) car engine oil to put back that bit of slip back into the clutch. I think it may work, but you may loose your second gear power wheelies, maybe not. I do ocasionally do a rolling second gear burn out, but since the DD mod I am easier on the bike because of fear factor of blowing a gear.

See that is my fear. I am usually not easy on anything I own LOL. If there is more power there, I am more apt to use it. I may not use it all the time, but when I do.... it will be balls out.

Todd

i have an 85 stock bike with dd setup, did a full friction in back etc. I'm thinking on my next oil change i a m going to add a half quart of mobil 1 (full synthetic) car engine oil to put back that bit of slip back into the clutch. I think it may work, but you may loose your second gear power wheelies, maybe not. I do ocasionally do a rolling second gear burn out, but since the dd mod i am easier on the bike because of fear factor of blowing a gear.

never mix synthetic with regular oil. Never!!

I've had the DD on my stock '85 for about 4 years and probably 10k miles.
Love the tire chirping neck snapping shifts.
I ride the Max harder than my sportbike, redline 2nd through 4th every chance I get.
With the Dunlops I would light up the tires 1st through 4th.....
At least 30 trips down the 1/4....and I don't cool down between runs if a lanes open.

Best bang for the buck.
I short shift 1st to prolong the absence of any 2nd gear issues.

My buddy's clutch on his '03 now feels like mush when I ride it.

I've had the DD on my stock '85 for about 4 years and probably 10k miles.
Love the tire chirping neck snapping shifts.
I ride the Max harder than my sportbike, redline 2nd through 4th every chance I get.
With the Dunlops I would light up the tires 1st through 4th.....
At least 30 trips down the 1/4....and I don't cool down between runs if a lanes open.

Best bang for the buck.
I short shift 1st to prolong the absence of any 2nd gear issues.

My buddy's clutch on his '03 now feels like mush when I ride it.

You sound like me.

Well I guess that kinda answers my questions a little. I ve been cruising looking for a spring to do the mod. Maybe I ll just order a factory dealer one. Or is Sean has any, I ll check with him first.

Now I have to get my clutch cover replacement setup so I can machine it to a clear cover, that way I can install everything all at once. Clear cover, DD kit and the other remaining up grades.

Thanks
Todd

You sound like me.

Well I guess that kinda answers my questions a little. I ve been cruising looking for a spring to do the mod. Maybe I ll just order a factory dealer one. Or is Sean has any, I ll check with him first.

Now I have to get my clutch cover replacement setup so I can machine it to a clear cover, that way I can install everything all at once. Clear cover, DD kit and the other remaining up grades.

Thanks
Todd

Any info on machining clear cover would be great!! My dads a machinist and thought of him doing it for me. There to expensive. But www.cycleoneoff.com gas the whole set not painted for I think it was 260 which is a good price

I saw $1000 for a package of black covers and $1250 for polished covers.

I am not seeing $260 to machine your covers. I find that a little hard to believe they could make any money off that price.

I ll post some pictures of mine after they are done.

Todd

Aweee shit it is. Because it say they will be black unless you want them polished dam!!! I was wondering why do cheap. Well and info on doing it would be sweet. Because that's to much money. Id rather have USD forks for that lol

maybe consider a pcw since its not as much as 2 springs. i have the DD and put an fjr master on and love it

I just installed th Barnett Clutch Kit (with standard Gold Springs) and I like it alot.
It's nowhere near as tight as the DD Mod but it definitely makes shifting 100% smoother than with the Stock clutch.
You can also buy the HD Springs for this kit of it isn't tight enough to suit you.
As for wheelies and burnouts, I've never had a problem doing either if I wanted to, even with the Stock clutch.
And personally I like that the clutch is the weak point, I can swap out friction plates and sand the steel plates in less than 1 hour and only spend around $50-60 to do it.
I really have no desire to have to replace middle gears at a much higher cost.

I have a Barnett and it hasn't slipped on me yet. Was running Rotella T (15-40) Dino...worked ok but shifting from 1st to 2nd was iffy and finding neutral almost impossible when hot...tried the Amsoil...what can I say...1st to 2nd shifts are vey smooth and finding neutral is doable again. Don't want to re-open the oil "can of worms" again, but my arse just doesn't lie....

^ LOL, The oil is certainly a can of worms.
I personally use the Shell Rotella T with my new Barnett Clutch and I haven't had any issues shifting or finding neutral.
Actually the Barnett clutch made my 1st to 2nd shift 100% better than it was with the stock clutch.
I'm extremely happy with the Barnett so far and I don't have to be a gorilla or popeye to hold in the clutch lever at Traffic lights like the DD Mod requires!

PS
I don't think it is advisable to add ANY additive to the Oil on a Wet Clutch Bike like the VMax.

you'll love the double dd, i have a pcw set up also and its better then stock but seems the barnett might be a little more and the dd is the firmest. takes a little getting use to and in stop and go traffic the dd sucks but once your use to it you wont like anything else.

If you are interested in a swapping your clutch master cylinder after doing the DD mod I would suggest going for a ZX-11 radial style clutch master. I have tried a few others (OEM, FJR, Concours) and seem to like this one best out of all of them.

Latest posts

Back