So what have I learned? WITH PICS!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaXXX

Reaction score
New to me '09 w/16K miles and Voodoo catless slip-ons... Got a break in the weather and dug in to see what's been done by the previous 4 owners.
20210127_125102.jpg
The panels are in great shape considering there age. Just a few minor scuffs and no cracks.
20210127_125049.jpg
The EXUP servo is still there. As are the unattached cables.
20210127_135612.jpg
The Airbox is not modded and the filter is filthy. There's nothing on the ECU indicating it's been flashed and the diagnostic display reads "0" on D:70).
The after-market taillights/tag holder assembly is not to my liking. The LED signals are smaller that the fronts and the bracket places the tag practically horizontal. Not to mention exposed and broken wires. I've already found and ordered a used stock assembly on eBay.

20210127_133632.jpg
Of course I'm tempted to mod the box, ditch the EXUP, and send the ECU to Guru for a flash. HOWEVER, the Voodoos look terrible. The cans and de-cat pipes are pretty corroded. Can't figure it since there's no rust anywhere else on the bike (thank God).
20210127_133330.jpg
20210127_133436.jpg20210127_133540.jpg
SO I'm leaning toward putting on the stock cat and cans. I THIIINK I've got all the pieces and hardware and it's still in decent condition. It does look like reattaching the EXUP cable ends to the valve will be a challenge for my huge mitts.
20210127_135651.jpg20210127_140906.jpg
I welcome any thoughts and suggestions!!!

If it was me, I'd send out the Voodoo system for ceramic coat and put it back on! That should clean up nicely.

(And I got a chuckle on the "for their age" comment. Sheesh. If I had an '09 anything, I'd think it was new).

If it was me, I'd send out the Voodoo system for ceramic coat and put it back on! That should clean up nicely.

(And I got a chuckle on the "for their age" comment. Sheesh. If I had an '09 anything, I'd think it was new).
Good point. I should've said for the number of owners it's had. If I'd bought it new, it'd be in pristine condition!
I'll start researching ceramic recoating services today. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's refreshed a set of pipes and if you were happy with the results.

Get the exhaust coated, and leave it. Get the ECU reflashed, you will love it. GET RID of the Exup cables. (PO was lazy, and just left them hanging there) Why put on the cat converter? Its about 40 lbs.....and will slow the bike down? Do the TT airbox mod....WELL WORTH the money and HP.

You have a muscle bike.....why go back to having it neutered?

Good point. I should've said for the number of owners it's had. If I'd bought it new, it'd be in pristine condition!
I'll start researching ceramic recoating services today. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's refreshed a set of pipes and if you were happy with the results.

I jet hot coated mine (on the 2011). Looked GREAT!!!. The only problem that I had after that was fitment. The sections of pipe fit TIGHT after that. And I mean.....a rubber mallet, a 2X4, and a jack.....tight. But NO exhaust leaks, and looks amazing.

I don't know if I'd describe a stock Vmax as neutered LOL. But yeah, that'd definitely be my course of action if the exhaust wasn't so trashed. I'd never heard of Voodoo prior to snagging this bike so I can't speak to their quality. But The bike had factory cans on it as late as 2016. That seems like a lot of corrosion for a 5-year span. Not sure I want to invest in bringing them back to life depending on the cost.
I'll have to research the TT mod. The one I'm familiar with just removes the small inlet plate behind the filter.

Last edited:
Had this full Holeshot system ceramic coated last June. It was rough as a cob, and came out really nice. I forget the name of the finish, but it mimics chrome. I had them done after seeing a friend’s ZRX pipes. They were nice before, and gorgeous after. Cost was 175.1784C71C-4CFE-4E6C-9105-7AB12EB20886.jpeg

Had this full Holeshot system ceramic coated last June. It was rough as a cob, and came out really nice. I forget the name of the finish, but it mimics chrome. I had them done after seeing a friend’s ZRX pipes. They were nice before, and gorgeous after. Cost was 175.
$175 is outstanding. I half expect shipping alone will be close to that. You remember the business that did it?
Also, what was your turn-around time?

Last edited:
Last edited:
$175 is outstanding. I half expect shipping alone will be close to that. You remember the business that did it?

Sure. It's called Affordable Powder Coating (they do all sorts of surface finishes) here in Phoenix. I dropped them off and picked them up. You probably have similar service locally, too. Shouldn't have to ship them off.

Nonetheless, here's Affordable's website. They do good work:

Affordable Powder Coating Website

Also, what was your turn-around time?
You should be able to find someone relatively local to you being in the heart of 'NASCAR country'. Anyone who does ceramic coatings like Cerakote can do it or you could go with one of the big names like JetHot or Swain Tech.

I've used both of the above and while the Swain Tech is supposed to work better for holding in heat their coating is a funky flat white. JetHot offers a chrome-like coating that I did on a set of headers that seemed to hold up fine.

You should be able to find someone relatively local to you being in the heart of 'NASCAR country'. Anyone who does ceramic coatings like Cerakote can do it or you could go with one of the big names like JetHot or Swain Tech.

I've used both of the above and while the Swain Tech is supposed to work better for holding in heat their coating is a funky flat white. JetHot offers a chrome-like coating that I did on a set of headers that seemed to hold up fine.
Yep - just found out Jet Hot's HQ is an hour from my house LOLOL

Yep - just found out Jet Hot's HQ is an hour from my house LOLOL
They do good work and I thought they had a location in the SE...they have (or at least had) one in Phoenix back when I used to live there.

No worries at all, brother. And very nice bike...I managed to snag an '09 back in summer of '19 and it was a 4,596 mile, two owner bike that was allegedly the first one sold in Colorado for whatever that is worth.

It actually came with a the Nash Flash, a full Akrapovic setup, Boulevard windscreen and fender eliminator/taillight with built-in signals but man do I envy that carbon of yours!

Thanks for the tip. I messaged them from their website and look forward to hearing from them.

I’d be interested in hearing what they do the job for. I suspect they won’t be able to do it for what these Phoenix guys at Affordable do. They also come highly recommended by the sand dune crowd out here. Some high dollar machines running over in the dunes.

JetHot made a name for themselves because they were one of the first in the business. They no longer have a corner on the market, but they sure do have name recognition. There are outfits all over that can do this. However, I suspect that the capital expense hit for equipment prevents most mom and pop operations from entering the business. That chrome like finish is exactly what I had done on mine above. I am thrilled with it.

The cans and de-cat pipes are pretty corroded. Can't figure it since there's no rust anywhere else on the bike
.... the fact the exhaust pipes are exposed to air/water and get heated to several hundred degrees higher than any other part may have something to do with it.

I'm sure it's that the 'hi-temp' paint that was on them has burned off and left the metal exposed in conjunction with the above...

.... the fact the exhaust pipes are exposed to air/water and get heated to several hundred degrees higher than any other part may have something to do with it.
Indeed. However the stock pipes running from the engine to the Voodoos experience the same conditions and they're still in excellent shape - despite being at least 6 years older.

Back