Soaking carb bolts in which fluid?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
I have 4 stuck screws (pilot and idle jets) and need to put them in some fluid for couple days. Carb cleaner, PBblaster, diesel fuel? Boiling them in laundry detergent?

I'd be wary of boiling the jet block (aluminum alloy) in washing detergent or dishwasher tablet as those may contain washing soda, which can attack aluminium.

Sure, I don't think it's a critical component, the %. Half & half sounds good to me.

Friend that owns a auto service business swears by PB Blaster. Says they buy it by the case. I just bought a can to keep on hand..

I've used Loos All Permatex for many years with good reults. But there have been studies on penetrant fluids, I'll need to have a look and see what the most recent is as there may be better than that now.

I've used Loos All Permatex for many years with good reults. But there have been studies on penetrant fluids, I'll need to have a look and see what the most recent is as there may be better than that now.
I don't know about Loos All but Permatex generally supply good products.

I think Permatex waterless hand cleaner is the BEST! Even if you forget to put the lid back on it doesn't turn to liquid like the "G" brand.

I don't know about Loos All but Permatex generally supply good products.

I think Permatex waterless hand cleaner is the BEST! Even if you forget to put the lid back on it doesn't turn to liquid like the "G" brand.
When I was a 'young 'un,' I used Twenty Mule Team Borax, sometimes shortened to 'Boraxo.' A gritty cleanser for oily hands and use water to make it a paste, rub-it good. It came in a tall oval can. Even today, I can see Ward Bond, driving a conestoga wagon across arid plains, pulled by a team of horses. "Clean hands, that's me!"

Fire-medic
factoid for today: what was the oldest company manufacturing automobiles? Daimler-Benz?

Nope, Studebaker. They made the conestoga wagons which were pulled by horses, 'prairie schooners,' which opened the American West to settlement. They began building them before the Civil War. During the Civil War (or The War of Northern Aggression, if you live in one of those states), like Bell Helicopter in the Vietnam conflict, Suudebaker made a lot of money, supplying the US Army. When the auto industry took-off in the early 20th century, Studebaker began manufacturing them. In an au courant fashion foretelling one of the transportation growth areas, their first model was electric, in 1902. Their first internal-combustion model was sold, two years later, in 1904. They stopped manufacturing horse-drawn wagons in 1920.

Studebaker continued automobile production until 1966, when they finally closed their last production facility located in Hamilton Ontario Canada in 1966. They were known for building sturdy cars, and well-engineered products. A couple of their best-known products were the Starliner coupe' and the Avanti. The Starliner coupe' had superior aerodynamic design, and the body style still holds world speed records today. The Avanti was available with a supercharged engine, designated R3 and it set many records upon its release. Andy Granatelli the owner of STP Products, and he of the Indy 500 STP Turbine car, was the person whom Studebaker contracted to run the Avanti record-breaking attempts.

https://viaretro.com/2020/10/the-st...nd-stp-a-short-story-of-three-motoring-icons/

Last edited:
Fire medic got the idea, which I used for awhile:
2 components fluid, 1 component works as penetrator, another one is oil, delivered by first component.
I used mix gas/vaseline, but aceton is the best!

When I was a 'young 'un,' I used Twenty Mule Team Borax, sometimes shortened to 'Boraxo.' A gritty cleanser for oily hands and use water to make it a paste, rub-it good. It came in a tall oval can. Even today, I can see Ward Bond, driving a conestoga wagon across arid plains, pulled by a team of horses. "Clean hands, that's me!"

I remember that stuff! Was the go to stuff back in the day..

There was another product I used to use on my hands. It was like a pre treatment. The stuff came in a can and smelled like Ivory Soap. You rubbed it in and let it dry. When you washed up there was no grease or dirt anywhere. Stuff worked great..just can't remember the name of the stuff, or if it is even around anymore.

There was another product I used to use on my hands. It was like a pre treatment. The stuff came in a can and smelled like Ivory Soap. You rubbed it in and let it dry. When you washed up there was no grease or dirt anywhere. Stuff worked great..just can't remember the name of the stuff, or if it is even around anymore.
Yip, barrier cream works brilliant. Reminded me to get some more thanks.

The best stuff I ever used is a new product available in the chain Stores called “freeze off”
This stuff takes 10 min to loosen anything, but reapply if you go over 20 min. It’s some Area 51 type stuff lol.. I used it to pull exhausts etc. So it works real good. About 7-10 bucks a can..

Latest posts

Back