Solid Motor Mounts vs. Frame Brace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojothehelpermonkey

Reaction score
While looking at solid motor mounts, I have found a lot of people have installed both solid motor mounts and frame braces. Given the solid mounts should turn your engine into a brace can any one explain the benefit of both modifications? Specifically has any one installed the solid mounts followed by the braces, can you re-hash your thoughts after first ride with just the mounts, then your first ride following the brace install? or vice versa braces followed by solid mounts.

Thanks.

Me too... I want to know also..

Welcome to the VMF mojothehelpermonkey.....:biglaugh:

While looking at solid motor mounts, I have found a lot of people have installed both solid motor mounts and frame braces. Given the solid mounts should turn your engine into a brace can any one explain the benefit of both modifications? Specifically has any one installed the solid mounts followed by the braces, can you re-hash your thoughts after first ride with just the mounts, then your first ride following the brace install? or vice versa braces followed by solid mounts.

Thanks.

Haven't done the mod(s), but purely theoretical I'd say frame braces should be superior since they stiffen the frame without transmitting the engine vibrations to the frame? (I've never understood solid motor mounts, it doesn't seem a good idea to me to connect the motor solid to the frame??)

I did the SMM but didn't get enough time to ride it since..

I think the people who go for both do the braces more for looks, I can't see that much extra stiffening either.

I went the delrin (vs. aluminum) solid motor mounts last winter and while I did notice some increased vibrations initially, though I hardly notice them anymore. Since it was nearly 6 months in-between the time I rode it last I didn't really notice the change until I went through one higher speed (80 mph and above) where I used to have some frame wiggles. They were now much less and seemed to be coming more from my rear wheel/ swing-arm area.

Haven't done the mod(s), but purely theoretical I'd say frame braces should be superior since they stiffen the frame without transmitting the engine vibrations to the frame? (I've never understood solid motor mounts, it doesn't seem a good idea to me to connect the motor solid to the frame??)

This is where I was... I have the frame braces from Dale Walker and I LOVE them.

My hands go numb on any bike too fast already. I didn't want to transmit even more small vibes. I'm VERY happy with my decision.

Chris

i had frame braces then added motor mounts

i saw no handling difference between frame braces/frame braces + mounts. Only thing i noticed when i added the mounts were the added vibes & they suck. i'd do frame braces again in a second. they're more expensive but a hell of a lot easier to install. now the increased vibes I have may be due to having BOTH mods, but my hands are too bad but seen a few things loosen due to the vibes.

if you're looking to make the handling better i'd:

1. progressive front springs
2. frame braces
3. braced s/a
4. radials
5 if you're bored, and want a challenge motor mounts

Frame braces seem to be the way to go. My hands aren't up for any Buzzing. Even my Harley is rubber mounted and you can see in the mirrors at 100 mph.

Thanx for the great answers. Now, what are the sheet metal deflectors that I see mounted at the top of some frame braces? To redirect the hot air coming off the engine?

The sheet metal doodads are just for looks.

I've got solid mounts and noticed a lot less wiggle but it definitely does NOT eliminate it. If I running 75+ thru a nice sweeper the bike sometimes has a mind of its own. Moreso if the wind is kicking.

As noted, you gotta check engine fasteners and such because they will most likely loosen up at some point if you have solid mounts. Every bolt on my stator cover was a bit loose and I started leaking a tiny amount of oil, only when the bike was hot, about 500 miles after the solid mounts were installed. After tightened them once I haven't had any issues. Not saying that it won't happen again though.

Frame braces seem to be the way to go. My hands aren't up for any Buzzing. Even my Harley is rubber mounted and you can see in the mirrors at 100 mph.

Thanx for the great answers. Now, what are the sheet metal deflectors that I see mounted at the top of some frame braces? To redirect the hot air coming off the engine?

specifically my knee guards? i had them first then put the frame braces on and wanted ot keep them. i may get rid of them soon tho we'll see.

they also cover (unintentionally) the somewhat ugly upper mounting bracket. mine are bolt on, not weld on.

Solid mounts effectively make the engine a stressed member within the frame.
Braces can't do that.
IMO installing braces after solid mounts yields no benefits to which I have a test coming soon to either prove or disprove that statement. I' ll post the results with pictures.

There are a few remedy's for unwanted vibrations with the solid mounts.
The braces might look cool if that what's you're looking for.

Maybe I will tell some things about SMM as they was widely discussed at PL forum.
Poland has very good testing area, polish roads aka altilery range :rofl_200:

Personaly I'd never go with aluminium mounts at they are not damping anything, completly.
Completly stiff engine to frame = not a good idea.

Im running myself a derlin/polyamide mounts and its the most affective bargain mod.
I did notice some incrassed vibes from engine, at 4k till 5k rpms and at the highest top.
Its nothing that I cant handle, nothing unpleasant.
They improving the frame stiffnes a lot.

Heres the bad part: they will happen to blots&nuts to loseing.
Evrything must be glued with adhesives.

People with alu mounts here, lost some serious bolts for thier bikes.
Personaly I've lost 4 bolts from fairing.

Good braces will do the same as the SMM.
This is important: "GOOD QUALITY BRACES".

I personaly saw the marks at the frame after taking off the braces, after high millage about 20k miles. There was no paint in that spots.
They working.

Maybe I will tell some things about SMM as they was widely discussed at PL forum.
Poland has very good testing area, polish roads aka altilery range :rofl_200:

Personaly I'd never go with aluminium mounts at they are not damping anything, completly.
Completly stiff engine to frame = not a good idea.

Im running myself a derlin/polyamide mounts and its the most affective bargain mod.
I did notice some incrassed vibes from engine, at 4k till 5k rpms and at the highest top.
Its nothing that I cant handle, nothing unpleasant.
They improving the frame stiffnes a lot.

Heres the bad part: they will happen to blots&nuts to loseing.
Evrything must be glued with adhesives.

People with alu mounts here, lost some serious bolts for thier bikes.
Personaly I've lost 4 bolts from fairing.

Good braces will do the same as the SMM.
This is important: "GOOD QUALITY BRACES".

I personaly saw the marks at the frame after taking off the braces, after high millage about 20k miles. There was no paint in that spots.
They working.

do u think the exactrap ones are good ones? can a clamp on be as strong as a weld on?

do u think the exactrap ones are good ones? can a clamp on be as strong as a weld on?

I didnt test all of them, honestly I never test any in my v-max.
I did ride on a v-max with over racing bananas, they're something but nothing You would be suprised.

I saw the otec ones on my buddys bike. They're working for sure (previous post).

I also saw some custom made welded pipes. They only seems bo be making the v-max more ugly...

EDIT:
Theoreticly good clamp will work fine, like trippe trees.

If I did ANYTHING with the motor mounts, I'd do polyurethane but I don't think that's available.

It's too hard to replace (done it) and I don't think the positives are big enough for me.

Chris

If I did ANYTHING with the motor mounts, I'd do polyurethane but I don't think that's available.

It's too hard to replace (done it) and I don't think the positives are big enough for me.

Chris

It could be too soft.

I was in Gates factory today, they making the polyurethane compound for belts there.
I can ask them about a sample next time.

It could be too soft.

I was in Gates factory today, they making the polyurethane compound for belts there.
I can ask them about a sample next time.

The right poly is harder than rubber. I'm talking like what I used in my G8 suspension to replace the rubber.

The right poly is harder than rubber. I'm talking like what I used in my G8 suspension to replace the rubber.

Yes but we we need to put that poly into housing like stock mounts are with rubber.
Poly itself like derlin mounts could be too soft.

Another thingy besides availability with derlin/polyamide is to easy way to machine them. Im not sure about machining the poly.
In Gates they grinding their belts with special steel stones with diamond dust.
I suspect poly will not work on conventional lathe.

So another aspect to fill the stock mounts housing with new compoud - poly.
Its doable.

All of the poly mounts I have seen (suspension components and such) appear to be injection molded to the desired shape.

Unless you went really slow and had some seriously sharp tools, I would think that the poly would deform and tear off as opposed to being cleanly cut off when attempting machining.

Being one who has the aluminum motor mounts, I will admit that there are more vibrations in the bars (>4000 RPM) however that was nearly removed by the addition of #7 lead shot in the bar and a set of COO weighted bar ends.

Latest posts

Back