solid motor mounts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
I was wondering if these are worth the money .They state that it is the cheapest addon to help handleing for the max.I was also wondering what type of steal the engine bolts are made of?.

They definitely help tighten up the ride. The bike will still wiggle like a happy dog if you push through turns. They do increase vibes and you need to go over the bike and check for loose fasteners after the first ride. Good chance you could find some of them loose.

Not sure on what grade of steel the OEM motor mount bolts are

The cheapest addition that I did....that REALLY helped was a front fork brace. Really helped the handling in sharp turns, and usually 60 to 70 bucks.

I think frame braces help just as much with out all the work, Of course they cost more but I believe are just as effective & you dont have to worry about bolts coming lose from vibration. . I sell solid mounts because some people love them but there just not for me.

I was wondering if these are worth the money .They state that it is the cheapest addon to help handleing for the max.I was also wondering what type of steal the engine bolts are made of?.
The bolts are plenty strong enough, but Yamaha decided that the engine should be mounted on rubber mounts. I like the solid mounts but others found that frame braces are what they like. The motor mounts transfer more vibes so you need to be diligent about making sure all nuts and bolts are properly fastened. I haven't had one fastener come loose nor do the vibes bother me. My mirrors have a rpm range (around 4700-5000) that they get fuzzy but I don't normally ride at that rpm range much so it's not a big deal.

I agree with much of the above in that they are a relatively cheap way of stiffening the frame.
Achieving this via the mounts or frame braces is a personal choice. There are pro's and con's to both.

That said, they wouldn't be first on my list of things to do - I would start with the front end (springs and emulators) then rear shocks then 17" wheels.

Just my 2c
I don`t think it`s a good idea to firmly attach a very heavy, vibrating motor to a not-very-well designed weak cradle like frame
It`s attached flexibly for a reason
But it scares the sh*t out of you feeling the motor go one way and the frame another
So stiffening the frame=frame braces should be the way to go
stiff frame and a motor vibrating happily away in it`s flexible rubber mounts
sounds more logical to me :ummm:

I don`t think it`s a good idea to firmly attach a very heavy, vibrating motor to a not-very-well designed weak cradle like frame
It`s attached flexibly for a reason

May I suggest that the purpose of the rubber mounts is to reduce the amount of vibration that gets to the rider as opposed to stopping unwanted stresses being fed into the crankcase?

Having the motor as a stressed member is not an uncommon design feature and there are plenty of Maxii out there that have been running long enough with solids that any issues would have shown up by now.

I don't like the look of frame braces and don't find the extra vibration intrusive so went with solids.
Others will, quite reasonably, take an opposite view.

May I suggest that the purpose of the rubber mounts is to reduce the amount of vibration that gets to the rider as opposed to stopping unwanted stresses being fed into the crankcase?

Having the motor as a stressed member is not an uncommon design feature and there are plenty of Maxii out there that have been running long enough with solids that any issues would have shown up by now.

I don't like the look of frame braces and don't find the extra vibration intrusive so went with solids.
Others will, quite reasonably, take an opposite view.
+1, I have been running solid motor mounts since 2009 and think they do their intended job well, benefits definitetly out weigh any negatives, IMO. I'm going to agree with MM about the look of frame braces, not my cup of tea as I don't want to detract from our great looking motor, again it's my opinion. The frame braces, properly done, work well to stiffen the frame where needed.

You can always run all the above for maximum benefit. Solid mounts, frame braces, and a good fork brace.

Sean

my 2cents lol..

Fork brace = zero difference. I had this huge beefed up billet one on my old '86, never noticed anything
SMM - I put them on my old '86 also and they did help. Hardly noticed any added vibes, but then I had both bar end weights and Vibranators installed
Frame braces - I do think they are good for strenghtening the frame, but I also view them a fugly / get in the way of engine

I'll throw an extra one for fun...

Braced swing arm! I also think those help as that right-hand tube is ever so flimsy..

BUT, I still think that if you can afford them, 17" or 18" wheels with modern radial tires are still THE best upgrade for handling with Mr Max

SMM = Cheap , if you don't count the labor involved in the change - out.

Frame braces = Not inexpensive , fairly inexpensive to install ; Some better looking AND more expensive to buy .

Attachments

• Zweirad - Technik.jpg
    Zweirad - Technik.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 36
I went with solid mounts but they are the plastic ones but I didn't want the extra weight and "pain in the ass" factor when wrenching on the bike... I lowered the bike about 1.5", extended my swingarm 3" and braced it, went to solid engine mounts, and went to radials and the bike is a whole new animal... Solid mounts aren't bad if you have the tools to do it...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

i'm gonna bust your balls here sorry in advance!

x1 is the same number of good-ness! you want to add 1 or even 2 to agree more!

I should have made it X2 (as in agreeing it's a great improvement) but my left hand can only let out a clutch efficiently. It's a little dyslectic on the keyboard. :bang head:

I should have made it X2 (as in agreeing it's a great improvement) but my left hand can only let out a clutch efficiently. It's a little dyslectic on the keyboard. :bang head:

that'll do it! i'm glad you didn't take my comment too seriously!

i guess in florida since we dont have curvy roads we dont see the need for all the frame bracing and radial tires and all the other mods for handeling i read about. and for that matter most people here must be supeiror riders because my stock vmax seems to handle great and have more capability than i do as a rider. although some of those mods do look awsome! espacially the R1 front end i have seen here.

Back