Solid Motor Mounts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper109

Reaction score
I know there is a general consensus that solid mounts can improve handling. I have read a boat load of threads on the subject. The question I have is replacing all six necessary? Has anyone just replaced the front 4? This will be my winter project. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

The front 4 will still be a benefit but not as much as the full set. I sell both the Delrin and the Aluminum versions though by far prefer the aluminum (longer last and no deflection which is the point anyway).

+1 Change them all out to aluminum. It makes a difference you can feel.

The front 4 will still be a benefit but not as much as the full set. I sell both the Delrin and the Aluminum versions though by far prefer the aluminum (longer last and no deflection which is the point anyway).
How about vibration though?

@Pepper109 thanks for bringing this topic up, will be doing this mod to my Max this winter as well!

@Parminio I was wondering about the vibration as well, from what I have read so far some people feel it some don't (must be the BMI that makes the difference lol). Anyway, I do have FZX750 (baby max) as well, and on that bike, there are rubber mounts right under the handlebar clamps/raisers. I think there might be a way to adapt those clamps since it is Yamaha from the same period if the vibration is unbearable.

Maybe the Young Turks can withstand the increased vibration, or if you're a short-distance T.T. (tavern-to-tavern) rider. However, older riders value their body's shape and conditioning more-than younger riders seem-to. A bout with prolonged paresthesia due-to inflamed nerves from excessive conducted vibration will make you reconsider your use of the solid mounts.

If you haven't ever experienced that particular affliction, go to church and light a votive candle, and say a prayer that you never-do, as it can be horribly-debilitating. It can happen almost anywhere, though the hand/wrist and feet/legs seem to be frequent areas of its development. Nerve damage can be permanent. Ask someone who used a pneumatic jackhammer frequently about how they fared over-time. High-amplitude, high frequency, or low-amplitude, high frequency vibration delivered to the body seem to be particularly-bad.

Last edited:
Good observation. I've been wondering why highdensity polyurethane bushings haven't been used but it could be the heat issue.

That’s interesting fire-medic. I’m not a young Turk or a TT rider. I am however a beneficiary of Sean’s aluminum solid mounts. The increase in vibration is barely noticeable, what is very noticeable is how much stiffer the set up is and the benefit to handling, particularly in the twisties during spirited riding and on the track. There are vibration dampening options for those that feel the need. The benefit to handling is well worth it.

While I don't have any numb limbs, if you do after riding, you had better address it, because damage can be permanent. One of my fellow co-workers, like me, now-retired, had issues with his lower extremities, not from bike riding, he had an arterial narrowing in the femoral. When he became symptomatic, and it didn't relieve itself after several days, he went to his PMD (primary care physician) who upon evaluating him, said, "get to the hospital, immediately!"

He decided to go to a larger hospital father from where he's living (2+ hours) associated with U of Alabama-Birmingham, where a preliminary work-up said he had the arterial stenosis to be solved via surgery. Once they operated, they ended up going much-further in arterial replacement than they planned (24" instead of 6") and in the recuperative phase, he still was having issues. They did a balloon pump angiography, the same procedure they may do to attempt to restore better cardiac artery flow, and gradually, his lingering symptoms have mostly-subsided. While this is not specifically a nervous system problem, the side-effects were definitely related to the nervous system.

When he was speaking with the surgeon, after the results came in the surgeon told him, "we can probably save your leg." After the operation, and with his lack of progress, there was a question of losing some toes due-to circulatory issues, but another procedure (above) seems to have allowed him to not face the loss of toes, for now. The surgeons operated upon him for 12+ hours. He is very thankful for their work.

If your body is telling you something, heed the message.

How about vibration though?

Yes there is more vibration, mostly felt through the handlebars and a little through the footrests but IMO it isn't that intrusive.
There was some blurring in the OE mirrors but this changed and all but went away with the ISR m/c's.

I have solid mounts, have bought some rubber ones to replace them to see if I can reduce the harshness. I have a trike so handling is not the best anyway...

That’s interesting fire-medic. I’m not a young Turk or a TT rider. I am however a beneficiary of Sean’s aluminum solid mounts. The increase in vibration is barely noticeable, what is very noticeable is how much stiffer the set up is and the benefit to handling, particularly in the twisties during spirited riding and on the track. There are vibration dampening options for those that feel the need. The benefit to handling is well worth it.

I've got Sean's solid mounts.
And hands down.well worth doing.
Vibration is not an issue. I run aluminum handlebars.And can ride all day.2 up with no numbness.
Bike tracks nice and straight.when under hard acceleration.
No matter how little vibration you might feel. Just look at a harley rider.At a red light.

I've got Sean's solid mounts.
And hands down.well worth doing.
Vibration is not an issue. I run aluminum handlebars.And can ride all day.2 up with no numbness.
Bike tracks nice and straight.when under hard acceleration.
No matter how little vibration you might feel. Just look at a harley rider.At a red light.
Yes the H-D is displaying 'potato-potato' low-frequency, high-amplitude vibration. Just the opposite of a 2-stroke chainsaw gobbling a branch/trunk, with its high-frequency vibration. However, the H-D engineers designed the bike to have a balance factor where at highway cruising speeds, the bike smooths-out, making it a much-different bike while underway.

When I first read about the solid mount's, the pro's and con's I still wanted/ needed the benefit side of the mod due to the much heavier swingarm and wheel combo I have.
I and two other Vmax owner's here test rode my bike for feel, looking for flex and noting no vibration at all with the stock mount's, flex was noticeable but only after the mod.
With the solid mount's only one of us felt vibration, (He's 23 yrs. old, really skinny) and thought he
felt it around 30mph in 2nd gear.
I will say solid mount's are a necessity with an extended rear and wide wheel mod and now wonder
if the extra weight possibly absorbs some if not all the vibration some guy's are describing.
I also have welded and bolted in frame braces. A factor in vibration reduction? Don't know...

There is a set (6) Aluminum on ebay now second row down for about 87 American, about 38 shipping,
price and compare.

I think the Venture used solid motor mounts. That might be a cheaper way to go.

Am 50 and I've fitted full set of ally ones on my 88 max and got standard rubbers on my 91 max I stay Glasgow Scotland were the roads are shit and you can feel the difference not so much on vibration I would know iam riddled with arthritis lol

One point to consider if fitting the aluminum mounts is to have them anodised first to prevent any corrosion spoiling the look of your pristine machine.

Back