Some oil in the coolant - dirty pictures

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered previously but having been through some previous posts I felt it worthwhile to ask this question.
I have some oil in my coolant and have attached some pics below. Fortunately the oil seems clean.
I have just done both an engine and radiator flush.
Apparently the previous owner had the water pump replaced but judging from my observations on some other work done i'm not sure of the quality of work.
Anyway, the pics show some oil droplets in the water as well as the usual accumulation at the pressure cap.
The bike is not overheating or throwing out coolant
I have not done a pressure test on the cylinders but have done a compression test and its good.
My question is: How critical is this at this point? Do I need to act immediately?
Are there any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpeg
    IMG_2942.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2944.jpeg
    IMG_2944.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 22
Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious you need to establish the areas where oil and water can mix and probably where the oil pressure is greater than that of the coolant.
One potential source would be the coolant/ oil intercooler(? a.k.a. the pencil box between the cylinders). Another would be, as you mentioned, the water pump.
As you have oil getting in you will need to attend to it at some time. Possibly not critical at this point but it isn't possible to say when this may no longer be the case.
The soomer you deal with it the sooner it will cease to be an issue.

Back