Some (probably) dumb questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, I was looking at a thread on how to do the manual fan switch install. One post said there was a great write up with pics on the "what did you do to your vmax today?" thread. Only problem is I can't find it (the thread). I see the wdydtyvt 2 thread but can't find the original.:confused2: Secondly, are the vmf tshirts still available? Thanks.

I just did this mod to my bike and it's real easy. I used a handlebar mounted switch on my install because I didn't want to drill a hole in the plastic piece where the ignition key is located to mount a toggle. Here is a link,probably not exactly what you're looking for, but should give you the info needed. You are just removing the right side scoop and "piggy backing" the two wires coming off the existing switch to run to a manual switch so that it will still operate as normal or can use your installed manual switch to over ride. The large pics on the 2nd page of this thread show the wires and what it looks like very well. Good luck! Some one might have a better link. Mike
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=14201&highlight=manual+switch

It's pretty simple....pull the right scoop and the plastic piece over the coolant manifold. Hanging off the bottom you'll see two brass plugs with wires....the smaller one is for the temp gauge, the larger is the temp switch that kicks the fan on. The temp switch just closes when a certain temperature is reaches, completing the circuit. Splice the switch into both wires, putting the manual switch in parallel with the original thermo switch. Move the switch, you just short the fan switch and turn the fan on.

There's a sticky about VMF t-shirts....as far as I know you can still order them.

I just put one on my 89 the other day. Bought a switch and screw on water proof cover at West Marine. I drilled a hole just under 1/2" in the plastic forward of the ignition, same as I did with the 94. Up On, Down Off. Didn't put an indicator light on this one... I got stuck at a light a few weeks ago on the way back from CaptainKyle's. I was there for 10 minutes and eventually shut the bike down to wait...

Easy Job, Good Luck

It's one of those peace-of-mind type things. Yes, the stock thermostat should kick on and the fan will keep the motor at a temperature equilibrium(it won't go any higher). However, the stock fan switch doesn't turn the fan on until the motor is borderline overheated....I don't know why bikes do this but they all do....they wait until the temp is right at the "red zone" before turning the fan on.

So when you're sitting in traffic, would you rather have the motor at 220 degrees, or 180? My fan will almost always bring the temp to around 180-185 and hold it there even after lots of idling or stop-and-go, pretty much the same as if I was riding at speed without the fan.

On a cold day you can also turn it on at stoplights to get an on-demand hand warmer lol

It's one of those peace-of-mind type things. Yes, the stock thermostat should kick on and the fan will keep the motor at a temperature equilibrium(it won't go any higher). However, the stock fan switch doesn't turn the fan on until the motor is borderline overheated....I don't know why bikes do this but they all do....they wait until the temp is right at the "red zone" before turning the fan on.

So when you're sitting in traffic, would you rather have the motor at 220 degrees, or 180? My fan will almost always bring the temp to around 180-185 and hold it there even after lots of idling or stop-and-go, pretty much the same as if I was riding at speed without the fan.

On a cold day you can also turn it on at stoplights to get an on-demand hand warmer lol

oh i understand why one would want to prevent overheating. and i'm not saying anyone would be wrong by making this modification. i'm just not convinced that it is necessary for me since my bike is still stock. my logic agrees that one would rather sit in traffic at a lower operating temperature, but in my humble opinion, the logic is somewhat biased without understanding fully what the yamaha engineers design decisions were and how they came to pass. i'm not smart enough to know how to engineer a bike, granted, but it would seem to me that those who are, knew what they were doing....otherwise, they wouldn't be selling bikes 'cause no one would want their overheating bikes. these bikes were designed to operate within some temperature range, this is for sure. and for all i know 220 could fit perfectly fine within the range with a plump tolerance. i haven't been able to find specs that state what the maximum temp is before the bike explodes. :rofl_200:.

now, if one starts modding the combustion and exhaust mechanics, which I plan on doing in the near future:punk:, that's a different story. the bike is no longer stock and as such i don't think i would expect that the stock thermoswitch would be a valid option to accommodate the altered temperature characteristics. i dunno, maybe it's still good enough. of course, one's ambient operational environment is a factor as well, but i always ask myself, did yamaha only target a specific region in the world for their bikes to run in...and factor in global warming :rofl_200:? but then again, did the engineers consider traffic conditions? there are more cars on the road then there ever was in the past 20 years. but I drive in relatively light traffic compared to most (there isn't much stop and go, and relatively short red lights). I don't know the driving conditions of those who do this mod are.

like i said, i'm still mulling it over, and as such still gathering information. i like to get the most bang out of my buck, which is the reason, should i bite and do this mod, i would rewire the petcock to do my bidding 'cause it would be "free". :eusa_dance:

what are your thoughts on performance coolants/additives like Engine Ice, Water Wetter, that Honda red stuff, etc? what are your thoughts on the aftermarket fan with the extra fin(s)? have you thought about replacing the thermoswitch with one that engages at a lower temp?

Latest posts

Back