Some questions about a 2001

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWhistler

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm looking at 2 different 2001 vmax bikes. They both accepted my lowball offers which wasn't expected but these are the ones I'm looking at.

1st one is this.... and got him to 2400

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/453558048932398/

Second one is this one.... and I got him to 2500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/988976211438355/

Both are 45 minutes away in opposite directions.

The photos are for the one with mods

Obviously both are only 1k off on mileage but one has some mods.

On the second one I've asked some questions, and these were his response. I asked about the potential second gear issue and also what he knows about the mods that have been done.

"I got it from my dad and he was the only other owner. He did all the tune and everything else. I'm not sure what exactly was changed besides what I mentioned in the ad."

"To a degree. I know he bought it and did some of the work on it. But we don't have a lot of contact. I have rode like the last 1000ish miles on it and no issues at all everything shifts easy. Real smooth bike to ride"

This last thing kinda worries me but I dont know if it is anything to worry about or not but figure yall would know.

"Yeah man. It has two things that look kinda weird. There's an inline fuse that goes to the rev limiter that sits on the handlebar I'm not sure why they put it on the handlebar and not tucked in the electronics box and the shift return spring appears to be the wrong size or just wasnt stretched far enough. I rode it as is though and have had no issues"

Now the other bike is unmolested from what he says and is a really nice old man, so probably never been ripped on.

Thanks for any help and any suggestions/input.

Attachments

• received_987751991598191.jpeg
    received_987751991598191.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 39
  • received_454642148566363.jpeg
    received_454642148566363.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 37
  • received_2555275944706286.jpeg
    received_2555275944706286.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 39
  • received_585409735590628.jpeg
    received_585409735590628.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 35
Just based on what I can see......the second ($2500) bike appears to have some more desirable add on's like the Holeshot exhaust.

After any potential mechanical issues, condition is everything and it's kinda hard to see that in the photos. The faux carbon finish on that year have a propensity to fading and cannot be bought back to their original factory look. This would be typical on one that spent a lot of time out in the weather/sun.

Tough decision seeing that they are in 2 different directions, but 45 minutes is not really that bad. I'd recommend taking a look at both and then deciding.

Just based on what I can see......the second ($2500) bike appears to have some more desirable add on's like the Holeshot exhaust.

After any potential mechanical issues, condition is everything and it's kinda hard to see that in the photos. The faux carbon finish on that year have a propensity to fading and cannot be bought back to their original factory look. This would be typical on one that spent a lot of time out in the weather/sun.

Tough decision seeing that they are in 2 different directions, but 45 minutes is not really that bad. I'd recommend taking a look at both and then deciding.

Definitely makes sense. I was going to look at the 2500 one today but when he sent "There's an inline fuse that goes to the rev limiter that sits on the handlebar I'm not sure why they put it on the handlebar and not tucked in the electronics box and the shift return spring appears to be the wrong size or just wasnt stretched far enough."

I got a little worried as to if these should be big concerns or what he may be talking about?

The '01 in Bremerton looks much-cleaner, that's the one I'd suggest seeing how it rides. More aftermarket stuff, probably a better-kept bike.

The '01 in Bremerton looks much-cleaner, that's the one I'd suggest seeing how it rides. More aftermarket stuff, probably a better-kept bike.
My only concern was the shifter return spring he mentioned. The in line fuse issue he talked about should be easy. Is the shifter return spring a big issue or relatively easy to fix?

So this is the "clutch return spring" the one guy is talking about. This looks super easy to fix. It is currently held together with wirereceived_2632755480106289.jpeg

Well that's the one I said is in good shape (I was saying that from the pic on the facebook post), and with some decent accessories.

His description is incorrect. This is what you're seeing:

Stop Switch Assembly
1FK-82530-02-00
Retail Price: $26.99
Your Price: $18.94
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500452b4f8700209bc79244b/electrical-2

That should be an easy fix.

I would want to-see that bike start, shift through the gears (esp. 2nd) idle/run for at-least 10 minutes (check for overheating), and re-start after that. Anything less-than satisfactory in all those areas, no-sale, at that price.

The shifter return spring is inside the engine, and is a hairpin-style, I would call it. It's #12 here: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500452acf8700209bc79242e/shift-shaft

CORRECTION!
Sean has said that device is a Dale Walker Holeshot quick-shifter, where movement of the shifter allows clutchless upshifts. Yes, you can replace that wire with something a bit-more secure, and that won't flex while in-use, as you're putting a lot of stress on the gearbox when doing clutchless upshifts. You want the linkage to be with as-little slop as-possible.

The item appears to be a switch similar to what's used on nearly any bike for the rear-wheel brake light activation, but in this application it's used to kill the ignition when the bike is power-shifted, usually for drag-racing. It's a possibility that the bike may-have an undercut transmission, if he was a dedicated drag-racer, since it also has a rev-limiter. No-way of knowing that without a tear-down. That would be totally-unnecessary unless the tranny started jumping out of gear.

Last edited:
Well that's the one I said is in good shape, and with some decent accessories.

His description is incorrect. This is what you're seeing:

Stop Switch Assembly
1FK-82530-02-00
Retail Price: $26.99
Your Price: $18.94
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500452b4f8700209bc79244b/electrical-2

That should be an easy fix.

Shouldn't the stop switch be on the right side not left? I took a picture of a factory one and put side by side. Left is factory right is hisPhotoGrid_1578278670323.jpg

Not sure what that is. Maybe a quick shifter???? Looks like some mod attached to the shift linkage. Maybe someone with a similar mod will chime in. Not factory installed though.

Shouldn't the stop switch be on the right side not left? I took a picture of a factory one and put side by side. Left is factory right is hisView attachment 70629

Yes.....I'm reconsidering my choice of that bike.

That looks like it may be a jury rigged switch...... possibly to cut the ignition when doing clutch-less shifts? Maybe that's somehow related to the fuse on the handlebars?

I've never seen anything like that on a Gen 1 VMax. o_O

That looks like it may be a jury rigged switch...... possibly to cut the ignition when doing clutch-less shifts? Maybe that's somehow related to the fuse on the handlebars?

I believe he said the fuse is for rev limiter chip? Here's a pic he sent of that lolreceived_444612859756966.jpeg

With these developments I'm thinking the stock one will be good then I can mod myself the right way using the forums and Facebook groups to read up and I'll know exactly what is or isn't done lol

The holeshot quickshifter can be seen in that picture. The added wiring and switch are exactly what that is supporting. Hard to find those around and never personally had one come through the shop here. Allows for full throttle clutchless footshifts. That meant that he was also a diehard Vmax guy as Dales site wasn't exactly well advertised.

The holeshot quickshifter can be seen in that picture. The added wiring and switch are exactly what that is supporting. Hard to find those around and never personally had one come through the shop here. Allows for full throttle clutchless footshifts. That meant that he was also a diehard Vmax guy as Dales site wasn't exactly well advertised.

Ahhh ok. So guessing that part would need to be ordered through holeshot if available to fix where they used twist wire? I'm still worried possibly about what else may be janky. But with your post that makes it a little better

22.jpeg

It's not complete though Sean, there should be a cable pull mechanism attached to the shifter correct?

That system uses an electric solenoid and a cable connected to the shifter if I remember right.

View attachment 70631

It's not complete though Sean, there should be a cable pull mechanism attached to the shifter correct?

That system uses an electric solenoid and a cable connected to the shifter if I remember right.

That definitely looks different lol. In the picture i posted it looks like everything is just dangly and attached with twist wire. Maybe it was correct at one point then someone got janky lol

Dale still sells these though i am not sure if he continues to market them to the Vmax. I think the one with the cable you are thinking of is the version "3". This was a previous version (like his number 2). http://www.holeshot.com/shifters/ps2

We have a little different bracket then he used and it can be combined with our ignitec CDI box as the brain to do the same work.

Attachments

• 20190629_192825.jpg
    20190629_192825.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 19
Dale still sells these though i am not sure if he continues to market them to the Vmax. I think the one with the cable you are thinking of is the version "3". This was a previous version (like his number 2). http://www.holeshot.com/shifters/ps2

Yeah, you are right Sean..... That's essentially a quick shifter, similar to what you sell

I was thinking of Dale's solenoid powered electric shifter....... That runs a cable from a solenoid to the shift lever.

Latest posts

Back