Someone must be telling me to wear my helmet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
Ran a quick errand and since it was a short distance (1-2 miles) I didn't gear up like I usually do. Riding along something hits me in the face hard and I'm like WTF! It felt like a big rock (I didn't see it) - it hit me right under my right eye and it hurt bad and was getting worse as I was riding home. My right eye was watering up and twitching and I keep feeling the spot since it was hurting so bad I thought maybe it was bleeding.

I get home quickly and checked my eye out in the mirror. A bee did it's last rights on my face and left a present for me...its stinger under my eye. I took it out and it felt much better soon after.

First time in my life getting stung by a bee. Since I didn't pass out or get all swelled up I suppose I'm not allergic to them. :punk:

Close call, could of been much worst, glad to here you're doing better.

Take care and ride safe

i usually ride with my visor up , about center of my pupils , so if sand or anything starts coming in i can just tip my head down a little & it wont go in my eye's , but once i had a bee fly into my helmet , it was buzzing on the right top of my head & i had to pull over quickly & remove my helmet , i couldn't believe it didn't sting me ! .. Another time i was riding with a leather jacket on & no gloves & a bee went right up my sleeve , once again i pulled over real quick & took my jacket off and it didn't sting me ! ... I am mildly allergic , i wont die , but i get very swollen !

I had a bee fly in my helmet once also...riding along and I see black and yellow on my glasses frame. I slow down carefully and take my helmet off and he flies away. Usually bees leave you alone if don't do anything rash like swat at them or do something to provoke them.

I've always heard that the last thing a bee does is sting when it dies...I guess I felt that first hand.

Definitely could have been worse. Ironically I wore my helmet to ride on another errand this afternoon and a bee went splat against my downed visor so I was spared the sting this time. They must be out in droves right now...I'll keep the helmet on and visor down.

I once had a hornet get in my helmet while it was sitting on the bike. When I put the helmet on, it stung me right above my left eye. I ripped the helmet off immediately and the hornet back end and stinger was still stuck in me. The rest of the hornet was nowhere to be found....

My eye swelled and the eyelid twitched / spasmed for hours.

Thats a good reason not to wear a helmet with the visor up. I just dont wear one.

Story I heard. Wasp got in the helmet and stung the guy til he went off the road fatally. I will spare you the details.

Its a matter of when your number comes up. or your luck

I do windshields on all bikes and full face when I can. I had a bird to the chest at 80 mph once, it almost took me off the bike. I have a clear cast
display of the last Bumble Bee that got me in the face. When it hit me it felt as big as the bird.:bang head:

Very Good that you're alright.....

a little while ago, was running along on the bike, nice open road, had my helmet on, my riding jacket and a chick on the back holding on. cruising along at 140kph and all of a sudden felt this thing hit the back of my neck, just where the coat and helmet dont meet. Pain, i mean serious pain, the wind hitting it made it worse, swelled up and was red right away. didnt find any stinger but was swollen for like 5 days......... cant figure out how the hell it hit me at that speed and came across in between us, wasn't a head on hit, crazy i say, crazy. guess someone was telling me to slow down.....

i get stung a few times each year, i have never had a reaction until this last one. one time i saw a bee screwing with me at a stop light and it was flying all around me. so i decided when the light turned green and i couldnt see the bee i would take off.. so i did. all was well... for a mile or two. then i felt the sting on the side of my neck and i swatted like crazy. it was red and about an inch around for a few hours.

this last time one went up my shorts and stung me as i got off the bike under my leg. it was a black and yellow fuzzy bee. i grabbed it in the shorts and shook it until it fell out. the sting burnt like crazy for 10 minutes then started swelling. after 1 day it was 4 inches around and the skin was raised up and felt like tar. its been 5 days now nd it still itches.

If its like a jelly fish sting peeing on it will help.

I tried that once on a shark bite victim but she said it did not help much.

561942_386183931454747_1075734901_n.jpg

Did not know there were lots of folks out there that had experienced what I did, a wasp sting in the helmet. Was 14 years old, 1967, riding my Cushman Super Eagle down the road. All of the sudden a wasp flies into my helmet. Stick my hand up the helmet trying to kill it, finally did just before it stung me on the back of the neck.

99.5 % of the time i were a full face with the visor closed for just these reasons. i have been hit with all kinds of bugs, rocks, and who knows what. Some of which hit my helmet with such force it scared me!!! i also like the reduced road and wind noise provided by full face helmets, in addition to the safety benifits.

I think Florida has some of the biggest and tastiest bugs in all the USA. I'll take big and mushy over hard and fast anytime. I usually drop my visor as soon as I start rolling as I like the quiet so I can hear me Kerker and my lid is ventilated so it cools ok.

i got hit in the head by a crow...on my oll 82 seca 750....one of the very few times i wore a helmet in those days....lucky 4 me:biglaugh:

Not wearing a proper helmet, and eye protection is just plain stupid! Stupid, as stupid can get. and, actually everyone is allergic to bee stings. It's just a matter of when your body reacts to one.

My Evoline II Shark "Moovit " modular helmet can provide me w/plenty of protection while underway, & lots of ventilation when I am in stop & go traffic thanks to its pivoting chin bar which pivots nearly 235 degrees. When open, you can use the face shield to make it like an old Bell RT (my first quality helmet I bought in the early 1970's) w/a "competition shield." Who remembers them? That's about all I used until I bought my first Shoei full-coverage helmet, and found-out I am not an Arai head! That Shoei was the first helmet which used Kevlar.

I agree, full-face helmets offer protection from exploded truck treads being flung into your head, or bees. I have been startled any # of times by a shot sound of some crap ricocheting-off my helmet, never even saw it coming.

I only got stabbed once, I was on King's Highway in Kalamazoo MI in about 1972 & had a bee fly-down my t-shirt from the collar & sting me right-between my shoulder blades. I always heard they die after they lose their stinger, maybe some zoologist can confirm/refute. Allergic? Carry an "Epi-pen." (self-injecting subcutaneous epinephrine)

I've had trouble with creepy crawler's getting in my helmet before.When you leave it on your bike. Remember to check it before you put it on,"you never know". One time I set my helmet on the grass. When I put it back on, my head was covered with ants.:th_tongue:

Latest posts

Back