someone please help any advice would be great

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love2ride

Reaction score
I have a 85 I replaced the battery a few months ago. About a month ago I went to take off on my bike and had problems getting it started when it did start it wouldn't stay running. I got it going and it died on me in the rode pushed off and started looking into it. I couldn't get it to start called my brother in law and he came to save me. We went got some jumper cables and cranked it up. I started smelling something burning and noticed smoke. (It was dark by this time so hard to see) we noticed the connection between stator and regulator were beginning to melt. Disconnected them taped them up and got the bike home. I replaced the regulator and had crimped the stator wires together then we realized the stator had to be replaced to. Got that in and changed it last Sunday. Once I got everything put back together and plugged in I went to zip tie my wires back to the frame 5 minutes later and I hadn't cranked the bike yet and my stator wires were getting hot. Me and my brother in law can't figure out what is going on. My fuses weren't blown and no other wires are messed up that we see. Could it be that I need to replace the rest of my wires to my charging system? Please help

Sounds like you have some wires shorted. I would pull the harness & inspect the wires, maybe the wire insulation got pinched/knicked and exposed bare wire causing it to short out

I have an '85 harness at the house you can have for $25, but I won't be home for two more weeks. If it's urgent, I can have my wife box it and ship it to you. I fixed the harness on my '86 so I don't need that harness any more.

Have you done anything with the crimp under the seat ? Bad grounds can cause heat build up. I would personal take the red wire from the RR & run it direct to the battery with a 30 amp fuse inline & also run the ground direct to the battery & cut out all the BS

When I rebuilt my 85 the electrical/harness and all, well you figure 2014 back to 85, almost 30 yrs of chafing, oxidization(EVERY CONNECTOR) and the duct tape repairs made by previous owners. Looking at the problems as the cropped up then finally rewiring the whole thing, I'm surprised it could light a bulb with all the drop from front to back. My stator connector had baked from intermittent shorting and was fluorescent green with oxidation.

These are the connectors once I cleaned it up, the little spade connectors had been eaten away and because of the bad connection they cause resistance which intern caused the heat that melted the female side of this connection.

Get out your meter and start somewhere, checking every connector on the bike and you'll get an idea of the condition of your harness and how serious
or not it is as a big problem waiting to happen.

Gannon, if he's still doing it, can make any connector you need for your machine.

Attachments

• 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks, you might be right I was looking at my connectors and wires yesterday and to me they did look like they could be cleaned up possibly replaced.

There is a member here from Alaska that used AC coil cleaner on his connecter with good results, he said it took off all the oxidation. Im thinking about doing it myself. I'll see if I can find his post about it.

Get in touch with Gannon (88vmx12). He can get those plastic connectors and new pins and stuff for you.

Super EZ elec. connector cleaner!

#1 Report Post
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 PM
wayne z is

My VMax: '85 Vmax, blue
My other bikes: '54 BSA M21, '74 Harley Sprint
Default Super EZ elec. connector cleaner!
Well, I've been going all over this thing, and many of the electrical conector plugs on my ol barn find have some green patina in/on them.

I have found that hdw store, pump spray bottle A/C coil cleaner does an amazing job! leaves the pins, blades ect clean and bright even in the sleeves!

I hold the connectors in a rag or paper towel to contain drips and squirt the stuff into the connectors.

Wait about 15-20 munites and flush with carb cleaner straw and a rag for containment. Amazing how they shine, even down in the plastic sleeves.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Sorry he's from Baton Rouge

Back