Something's shorting out my bike and I can't find it!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis W

Reaction score
So I have 1994 Vmax 1200. I crossed some rough railroad tracks Saturday and the bike completely dies on me. I find the main 30 amp fuse blown. I checked as many of the wires as I can find and then replace the main fuse. WITH THE KEY TURNED OFF, the main fuse blows as soon as I replace it. The next day (Sunday), I remove the Starter Relay Solenoid and check it, then reinstall it, jiggle some wires around the seat (that all looked good to me), and replaced another fuse. This time it doesn't burn the fuse and I ride around town. I make it back home, turn it off, and then turn it back on just to see if she'll start again. She cranks fine. I hook up my Optima Charger and charge the bike overnight. The next day (Monday) the bike is right back to the same issue! I checked the wire to the starter and it seems fine. All connections and wires around the battery seem OK too. Could it be the Starter Relay shorting out my bike?

In case anyone comes along the thread and finds this to be interesting,

I looked through the electrical schematic of the bike and found the Rectifier/Regulator to be next in line to the main fuse. I tested the diodes within the regulator and discovered that several of the 6 diodes had shorted out and were sending voltage the opposite way. I went on Amazon.com and grabbed a new regulator for $20. Thank God it was such an easy fix! I hope this helps someone else...

that's great that you found the cause of your problem, hopefully you can just enjoy riding now

Latest posts

Back