South FL AMCA Vintage Bike Meet Jan. 31, 2015

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.daniabeachvintagebikeshow.com/index.html

Vintage Motorcycle Show
9th Annual Dania Beach FL
Saturday January 31, 2015
Show Hours: 10 AM to 5 PM
Frost Park

300 NE 2nd Street

Dania Beach, FL 33004-4804

(South of Ft Lauderdale International Airport and east of US-1)

One not to-be missed, if you truly like old crocks, and old bikes too!:rofl_200:​
Hundreds of bikes, from a few rats, to $100,000+ one-of-a-kind bikes, like Brough Superiors, the bikes Lawrence of Arabia commissioned and owned. Lots of vintage American and Japanese iron. Free admission, food on-location or close-by, rock & roll bands, great people-watching. AMCA judged event. Easy to reach from I-95 or the FL Turnpike, just-south of I-595. 25 minutes from Miami, less than 10 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale. For west coast of FL residents, come east on Alligator Alley to I-595 East, to US-1 South, to NE 3 Ave, turn left to NE 2 St. By then you will be in the midst of thousands of bike riders and motorcycle fans. Easy parking next to the park, including 'bike-only' parking.​
Question: what has 3000 cc and eighteen cylinders?​
Answer: See the last pic.​

Attachments

• 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 081.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 081.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 27
  • 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 043.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 043.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 047.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 047.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 072.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 072.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I've got Jan/Feb penciled in for ' Snowbird Season ' down there , would love to see that show . Dania Beach is only a 10 minute ride...

Be sure to attend, admission is free! Hundreds of bikes, lots of interesting ones going back to the 20's or earlier. Lots of vintage bikes. My acquaintances judge the AMCA meet. Two retired Yamaha factory mechanics who now work for a multimillionaire attorney maintaining his collection of bikes and cars. He could have his own museum if he wanted.

He's from the Ft. Lauderdale area, I've never been to his home, but I bet it's on the water in east Ft. Lauderdale. They have a lot of 'finger canals' there for direct ocean access via no fixed bridges for the yachts. Sometimes the yacht behind the waterfront home is worth more-than the home! The homes can reach in the tens of millions $$$$ and I surely would hate to pay their property taxes! They are usually 2.5% of the assessed value, so $25K on a home valued at $1 million.

I have been to the warehouses where he keeps the cars & bikes, it's like opening presents on Christmas, you never know what's behind each overhead door.
Let me guess...Boca or West Palm...:worthy:

If you're in the area, this AMCA meet is a great one to attend. More pics.

Attachments

• Dania HMCA Bike SHow 2014 020.jpg
    Dania HMCA Bike SHow 2014 020.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Dania HMCA Bike SHow 2014 012.jpg
    Dania HMCA Bike SHow 2014 012.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 12
As Mel Fisher (he found the Atocha http://www.melfisher.com/Library/AtochaMargStory.asp ) used to say, "today's the day!"

Perfect weather, no entry fee for attendees, hundreds of interesting bikes, great people watching, live rock & roll, and Billy Joel has been known to attend, he's got a show locally in-town now. A couple of years ago, he jammed w/the rock & roll band playing.

"Be there or be square."

Attachments

• Dania AMCA 2013 057.jpg
    Dania AMCA 2013 057.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Dania AMCA 2013 070.jpg
    Dania AMCA 2013 070.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 7
I just got a call from my Wellington, FL (Palm Beach Co) buddy, he's almost here, and we'll go together to the show. The theme this year is 'Sportsters,' and he's got two iron-head's, from 1970 & '76. I keep telling him to put the H-D 'boat-tail' rear fender/seat piece on one of them. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

images
images

If I close my eyes I'm there...walking out on the pier...enjoying the sunshine and of course the rum drinks...:worthy:...then heading over to Jimbo's before the Saturday crowd shuffles in...where an old man's sitting next to me , making love to his tonic and gin...:punk:

Some pics...

The two Kawis are done by one of my acquaintances, David Boyer, who is one of the AMCA judges at the show. The DT-1 is a first year 1968, the bike that got many people interested in biking and dirt bikes. The next is a Rickman Metisse/Triumph, then a Dunstall café racer, and a Cheney dirt bike (the Cheney is 'modernized' a bit). Rickman, Dunstall, and Cheney were the 3 big English frame builders in the late 1960's/'70's. Rickman built both dirt and road bike frames, Dunstall, road bikes, and Cheney, dirt bikes, as I recall. They were very desirable bikes then, and are still now. The last is a V-twin Moto Morini, 500 cc, which had an unusual combustion chamber, in the top of the piston instead of in the head. Jaguar used this design for many years. The last is the first H-D custom designed by Willie G Davidson and still today draws many comments. One of my friends in Battle Creek MI bought one new, a '71 Superglide. http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/...-motorcycles/1971-harley-davidson-super-glide One of my favorite Harley's ever.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18553/lot/191A/?page_anchor=m1%3D1%26k1%3D191%26b1%3Dlist

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18346/lot/128/

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19768/lot/332/

I should also mention Colin Seeley as another English frame-builder, he was in the same class as the others.

Attachments

• 2015 Dania AMCA 054.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 054.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 7
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 056.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 056.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 061.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 061.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 078.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 078.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 079.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 079.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 080.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 080.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 091.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 091.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 106.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 106.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 9
Yes, it's quite the show, people plan their vacations to bring their bikes to display. My fave this year was the 1911 Pierce, which is from the same Buffalo NY co. which built the favorite automobile of Phil Hill, the Pierce Arrow. A bike very advanced for its time, and of premium components and design, not a 'mass-market' bike but one for the few who could afford the best. The fellow who owns it also has a Pierce bicycle, yes, by the same co., and manufactured w/similar attention to design and materials. It actually resembles the motorcycle somewhat.

Ayway, the event had a great flea market too, and I bought some neat cast-brass circular domed pieces w/a great verdigris-green patina, they look like they came off the Nautilus, and once-had Captain Nemo peering thru them to study some ocean bottom-dweller swimming-by. I am gonna work-up some application in my newly-remodeled garage to display them, I got four.

C'mon-down to FL in the winter, unless shoveling snow and driving in sleet is your thing.

Is this event usually held at the end of the month (jan) every year ?

That was nice to see for us winter locked in folks, especially me being in Alaska. I am a big fan of the Velocity Channel motorcycle series, Cafe Racer, Naked Speed and What's in the Barn.
The cafe look doesn't wow me but then I am finding out that those cafe builds are going at some very high prices.

That was nice to see for us winter locked in folks, especially me being in Alaska. I am a big fan of the Velocity Channel motorcycle series, Cafe Racer, Naked Speed and What's in the Barn.
The cafe look doesn't wow me but then I am finding out that those cafe builds are going at some very high prices.

I have a project bike I've had for many years, but I haven't had the space to work on it. I am trying to finish-up a garage remodel which should give me the space to work-on and store my collection. This is what it should look like, finished:

images

I have been toying w/the use of an aluminum tank instead of the 'stock' one, which is a steel tank covered w/a fiberglass cover:
images
images

It was a kit you could buy which took the two dominant engines of the day:
images
75rickman-honda.jpg

Finished, I should be able to sell it for the price of a good used Gen II. I probably wouldn't sell it, though.

Here it is w/the Kawi Z-1 engine:
images
images

The Hondas were orange, and the Kawis were, naturally, green.

Mine has a long way to go, but it has some significant upgrades, the stout forks and Lockheed brakes.

Anyone recognize this guy, pointing-out his bike's finer points? Supposedly the Rickman Metisse was his favorite dirt bike.

images
images
images
2Q==
images
images

Here are some other pics from the event. The last bike was a bit cobbled-up, but was very impressive.

And one-more take on a Rickman-Honda café racer:

images

Attachments

• 2015 Dania AMCA 060.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 060.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 096.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 096.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 101.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 101.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2015 Dania AMCA 104.jpg
    2015 Dania AMCA 104.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 2
I have several candidates in my herd, one could be a 1980 XS1100 Yamaha, has a good running engine, po already tried to turn it into a rat bike, another one is my 1983 Honda CX650C, it's a really fast light bike.
And I have another that's a real barn find, It was in a barn here in Alaska, I saw it while delivering a load of concrete, it's a 1977 Yamaha XS750 triple, they said it runs, it's been in my storage shed the last couple of years.
But I seriously doubt there is any kind of a cafe bike demand here in Alaska, all everybody wants is a Harley Ferguson. Those over hyped cast iron half a tractor frame with a partial radial aircraft engine.

Back