SPA Technique Tachometer built into Original Speedometer Housing Tutorial

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper Predator

Reaction score
I am limited to the amount of photos I can post. But I will post entire tutorial when I figure out the photo issue.

This is the Prototype. When I get back to Hawaii from Kuwait I will make the professional brackets with my mill at home.

Quick Update:

The SPA Tachometer I actually have is the one with the Gear Indicator where the SPA logo is in the middle of the Tachometer. So, it will let you know what gear you are in at a glance as you use your tachometer at any time.

The thing I liked about this Tachometer is that it also has the MPH in the digital readout below the needle.

Attachments

• IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3362.JPG
    IMG_3362.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3504.JPG
    IMG_3504.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3528.JPG
    IMG_3528.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
That looks fun to watch as you run through the gears. It looks great. I just split the pics into another post under the original thread topic.

The SPA units have been popular for years! Of course there have been others (like our Speedhut GPS units and more). I think the first SPA conversion was done back in the early 90's and documented in a VMOA Vboost article.

I had it on my 85, the only thing the LED speedometer would black out in the sunlight. Had to rely on RPM's for speed.

The SPA units have been popular for years! Of course there have been others (like our Speedhut GPS units and more). I think the first SPA conversion was done back in the early 90's and documented in a VMOA Vboost article.
When I did mine, I never saw any documentation as to "how" to actually do it. I saw them assembled completely but no explaination or any photos on how anyone put it together. I saw many of them on the bikes in Norway like you said.

When I get back I might just machine the speedometer housing out of solid Inconel just for fun. That way I don't have any spacers, etc.

Solid inconel would be some overkill lol. No heat in that area! Billet aluminum or even Ti would be cool.

I called SPA Technique, the customer service representative told me that the US distributors do not list it on their website.

He said he will get back with me as early as Monday, reason is the UK where they have them is about 5 hours ahead because of their time zone and they are closed. When he emails me the data I will post the information he sends me, the cost, part number, etc.

I also attached a picture of what one looks like with the Gear Indicator, my original post did not have it.

Attachments

• SPA Technique Gear Indicator.JPG
    SPA Technique Gear Indicator.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Solid inconel would be some overkill lol. No heat in that area! Billet aluminum or even Ti would be cool.
I know, right, but still would be cool. My entire life is over-kill. The 5th Axis capability of my mill would allow me to engrave stuff on the outside of it if I wanted to get creative....

I do like some things original, the housing might be better in shiny aluminum though like you mentioned.

I also attached a picture of what one looks like with the Gear Indicator, my original post did not have it.
Now that's nifty.

In my old age I've already had two instances of forgetting which gear I was in. Just about cost me a high side on one occasion.

Is there an odometer function/ display on these? I looked at the manual and didn't see anything

Is there an odometer function/ display on these? I looked at the manual and didn't see anything
I don't remember if it has it or not on the UK model. I use the one on my Dakota Digital Speedometer since my mileage started over the same time I rebuilt the motor.

Latest posts

Back