sparkplug change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoctoberz

Reaction score
Is there any commonly known other method of changing the sparkplugs without the toolkit tool? My bike didn't come with the toolkit, and I don't want to spend the 175$ the dealer wants for it.. a regular 18mm socket of course doesn't fit in the valley.

Anyone want to let me borrow their toolkit socket?

I know this is gonna sound crazy but take a sparkplug with you to various hardware stores and look in the plumbing department for the tool that looks similiar to the socket you're missing.

The tool is used for reaching inside the wall and removing the guts out of a shower, tub faucet. It has a name but I can't remember it right now.

I'm not sure they make one as small as you need tho'

Rusty

Yeah just go find a regular 18mm deep socket. Some are thinner walled than others.
I use whatever one is in my toolbox. I think it's a Husky brand.

My craftsman 18mm 6 point deep 3/8th drive works just fine. I use the socket > swivel > 6" extension > swivel > 6" entension > ratchet. It does all fold up and tuck away into a small fork bag if you have one of those.

Sean

Stubby 3/8 ratchet (to prevent over torque)
18MM Deep 3/8 Socket
3/8 wobble joint / universal joint
3/8 1in extension
Permatex Anti Sieze

None of my sockets will fit down the hole, I considered using a bench grinder to take some material off the sides before I decided to just "look harder" for the yamaha tool I knew I had somewhere in the garage.

Rusty

None of my sockets will fit down the hole, I considered using a bench grinder to take some material off the sides before I decided to just "look harder" for the yamaha tool I knew I had somewhere in the garage.

Rusty

Damn what kind of tools you have Are you using half in drive or 3 eighth
Yamaha must have made your heads with Shrinky Dink You are working on a VMAX and not a weed whacker arent ya

OK guys - this is another problem with a spark plug...
A plug in my Roadstar engine is stuck! I didn't try REAL hard to loosen it, but it won't move. I've got a new can of PB Blaster, and a 18mm 3/8" drive deep well socket. Any ideas?

Soak it with rust remover. Let it sit start the bike up let it warm up turn it off. Try to loosen it.

ANTI SEIZE cost 2.99 and prevents this. ANTISIEZE is always good to use on Aluminum heads. Much cheaper than pulling the head and retapping the sparkplug threads.
Gap, Lube, Insert, Torque.

You can bet the new plugs will have neverseize applied to them!
I'm taking a couple spare sets of shorts out to the garage with me when I attempt removal, in case I wreck a plug hole, and crap myself!:bang head:

You can bet the new plugs will have neverseize applied to them!
I'm taking a couple spare sets of shorts out to the garage with me when I attempt removal, in case I wreck a plug hole, and crap myself!:bang head:

I love antisieze I use it on everything that I want to take apart again
The onlything is its real messy a little goes a long way with this stuff

Attachments

• Anti Sieze.jpg
    Anti Sieze.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 8
So I took the Roadie out for a 10 mile ride, then waited an hour and took the tank off to get to the plugs - using my new 18mm socket.

No need for any penetrating oil, the plugs both came out with a twist of the wrist. I kinda think the wrench I was using - which was a slightly-too-big inch size socket, was getting a bit crooked on the plug, and jamming a bit. With the peopler tool, the plugs came right out.

:punk:

Back