Sparkplug wire boots arcing!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
Well i was syncing my carbs at dusk and noticed the sparkplug boots(where they attach to the sparkplug) on my #3 and #4 cylinders were randomly arcing against the head! damn:ummm:, that might explain some tuning issues im having, so whats the best route to go? i figure i might as well get all new wires, stock? nology? 8mm wire? i want to do COPS, but cant afford it right now so im looking for a good alternative??:biglaugh:

Jason

Jason, I recommend NGK SB05F boots. Cheap and reliable. Go to any auto or bike store and get plain 7 mm copper core wire by the foot. I get it at a small bike shop for $.50 a foot.

8 mm might be too thick to fit into the ignition coils.

Jason, I recommend NGK SB05F boots. Cheap and reliable. Go to any auto or bike store and get plain 7 mm copper core wire by the foot. I get it at a small bike shop for $.50 a foot.

Sweet, only lame thing is i gotta wait till tuesday cause every bike shop is closed monday. any good web sites that got them? Same with the wire? any good online sources i could try? Thanks

Jason

Not sure on websites, maybe try denniskirk.com. Fast shipping for sure. I would try your local auto dealer....maybe O'Reilly's, etc. and see if they sell by the foot.

I'm showing I should be able to sell them for about $4-$4.25 each but I don't have a listing for the wire.

Sean

my auto parts stores dont carry just wire, they got different wire lengths but with the boots on them, will any automotive sparkplug wire work?? and i cant find any NGK boots locally, atleast until tomarrow when the motorcycle shops are open. Will automotive boots work?? if not why? thanks

jason

I'm showing I should be able to sell them for about $4-$4.25 each but I don't have a listing for the wire.

Sean

thanks Sean, if I cant get anything local or Yamamha wants to much for theres ill probably be doing some more buisness with you:biglaugh: But if i plan to leave this Wednesday then i gotta get this bike running!:punk:

jason

I have just had the same problem on a year 2003 bike with 2500 miles on it. Usual hot engine running rough. In my garage you could see the arching from the caps, so I replaced them with NGK plug caps. It seemed worse after fitting new caps, so changed the HT leads. I also used the original rubber end sleeves from the original HT caps to provide some insulation between cap and cylinder head which seems to have sorted it. Front HT leads are PITA to change though!!

Back