Sparkplug wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
How long do the stock wires last? when its time to replace them? do we repace the boots too?
should I stick with the stock 7mm wires or get an 8mm set ?
Engine is a stock 03 & has 23k.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
firefly said:
How long do the stock wires last? when its time to replace them? do we repace the boots too?
should I stick with the stock 7mm wires or get an 8mm set ?
Engine is a stock 03 & has 23k.
Thanks for your time.

The stock wires can last for many years and work well for even higly modified engines. However, they do tend to corrode where they plug into the coils. All that is needed is to remove the wire from the coil (not the spark plug), cut off about 1/4" - 3/8" from the end, and re-install. You can do this as many times as you want until you run out of length.

The boots are re-useable as well as the caps and seals.

Sean Morley

I just replaced the originals on my 88 last month!:whistlin:, although the ends had been "trimmed" quite a few times .

Buster Hymen said:
I just replaced the originals on my 88 last month!:whistlin:, although the ends had been "trimmed" quite a few times .

did you replacement with originals or aftermarket ones?

Last edited:
If you ever suspect the wires having problems, there are a few things you can do.

The lazy method - Wait till dusk or complete dark. Get a small spray bottle, fill with water and set the nozel to a fine mist (or as close as you can get it) Spray the wires witht he mist. If you see any arcing, it's time to do something about the wires.

This method isn't fool-proof, but it does work a fair ammount of the time.

Proper method - Visual inspection for cracks and such. Then, find out what the proper ammount of resistance is supposed to be for the wires and check yours with an Ohm meter

I still have the originals on my '86. They've been trimmed a few times. They still 'seem' to work OK.
I have a set coming from a parted out '99 model. I'm looking forward to see if any difference is noticed.

my recent experience with this when i changed over to Dyna 3000 TCI box and Dynatek coils is this;

If you replace the wires with another solid core wire you MUST use the factory resistance boots.

If you replace the wires with a suppresion wire you can use the factory boots or any aftermarket non-resistance boot.

Some type of suppresion is required or it will throw interference into the TCI box and act like an intermittent "Miss"

Sometimes the aftermarket boots look better which is why I went with them along with suppresion wires.

If you go with aftermarket boots it is a good idea to re-use the rubber collar that fits down low on the factory boot to keep trash out of the hole around the sparkplug or the trash will end up in the cylinder when you pull the plugs.

Good pointers. On the last one, you can blow the debris fromthe sparkplug hole using compressed air. There's a small water drain hole on the side. Just use this.

I just changed the wires on my 97 with standard 7mm copper core wire. I re used the boots. It made a big difference because my old wires were green and corroded down about 4 inches inside the rubber where they plug into the coils. Its definitely a challenge getting to the front coils, i had to have a scrawny little buddy of mine get his tiny little hands in there. If you have big hands beware it just dosnt work! I bought 10 foot of wire for 10$ shipped to my door from here

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?store_code=CST&screen=PROD&product_code=17509

Very good quality wire and easy people to deal with. Your just throwing your money away if you go with the wire sets you find from ngk etc.

Yeah, I never knew what the heck that hole was until I did a radiator flush recently. After I rinsed it down and was warming it up I kept seeing green fluid coming out of the hole. Thought I had a leak until I figured it out.
I don't think the service manual mentions it..at least not that I have found.

Latest posts

Back