Sparkplug?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatter

Reaction score
Ok, so I was headed to work one morning last week, the bike was running great, so on my favorite stretch of deserted highway, I cranked it up to 132mph (GPS), being careful of redline. When I slowed up, my max started missing like hell.

I haven't had a chance to pull them yet, but I am betting on sparkplugs being the culprit. I want to change them but would like to know if there is a better plug than the stock ones that are in it now.

thanks

hat

Anyone have any input on this? I don't know jack about sparkplugs, myself, so any help would be nice.

Well pull your plugs out and have a good look at them. Electrodes should not look worn, and be light brown in color. Make note of any other color or condition (white, black, sooty, oily etc) as it will tell you a lot about your engine.
Also the porcelain bits (on the outside, and around the center electrode) should all be clean and free of cracks or other damage.

They're fairly inexpensive to replace so it's prolly not a bad idea to put fresh ones in anyway. Go with the Yamaha recommended NKG ones. Some people like to use the Champion ones, others think they're crap. To each his own, but the NGK work great in 95% of Maxxes out there!

Hatter, the stock NGK's (can't remember # off the top of my head this morning) have always worked fine for me. I'm bone stock. I've never had one start crapping after a hard run.

Your problem sounds more like fuel issues to me.:ummm:

I prefer the NGK's on pretty much every engine configuration we build. It was probably that white smoke cloud right before the turn that ate that plug up lol!

Sean

Haven't used them though a number of people have and haven't really said anything bad.

Sean

Back