Speed wobble vs Weight Poll

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Correlation between weight and stability:

• My weight plus gear is 100-149. With more weight, the bike is more stable.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My weight plus gear is 100-149. No difference by adding weight or bike is less stable.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My weight plus gear is 150-199. With more weight, the bike is more stable.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • My weight plus gear is 150-199. No difference by adding weight or bike is less stable.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • My weight plus gear is 200-249. With more weight, the bike is more stable.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • My weight plus gear is 200-249. No difference by adding weight or bike is less stable.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • My weight plus gear is 250-299. With more weight, the bike is more stable.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • My weight plus gear is 250-299. No difference by adding weight or bike is less stable.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • My weight plus gear is 300+. With more weight, the bike is more stable.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My weight plus gear is 300+. No difference by adding weight or bike is less stable.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Shuriken

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I noticed that my bike is much more safe, predictable, and solid when a passenger comes along for the ride. Obviously, there is more weight on the suspension. I'd like to see if there is a stronger correlation between the speed wobble and weight.

Hello everyone,

I noticed that my bike is much more safe, predictable, and solid when a passenger comes along for the ride. Obviously, there is more weight on the suspension. I'd like to see if there is a stronger correlation between the speed wobble and weight.

Your issue with the "speed wobble" has nothing to do with weight.

Try:
Neck bearings
Tire wear
Tire pressure
Condition of suspension

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the topic.lets see ,since my wobble doesnt come on untill bout 130 mph.I dont think Ill ever have a chance to see if its better with a passenger,bout 80 mph I get hit in the side.and rightfully so,shouldnt be going that fast with a passenger.

Shuriken: I believe for one that you may have a valid point. It's come up in several threads I've read in the past. In any case it's worth a true investigation. If for no other reason than to prove it or eliminate it as a possibility.

i get the wobble around 180- 210 kph, i am going to do the furbur fix within a week or two, ive heard if you slide the forks up the tripletree an inch or so it lowers the bike and helps that problem a bit. i dont know, ill definately find out shortly and repost the difference that i find. by the way i posted in the 250 -299 no diference. ive found if im riding crouched with my feet on the back pegs, the wobble happens quicker. riding upright with feet on the regular pegs or on the engine guards, its hit and miss. 30% of the time it may develop the wobble. tires are good, less than 5000 kms on the back, 7500 on the front. no abnormal problems with them. i ride with the suspension dampers usually set to 3, and the spring tension set to the same. 10 psi of air in the front forks. the bike is an 07 with 7500 kms on it. (yes i tottaled the back tire in no time at all...)

good luck with the poll!!!

It's no secret that more weight on the Max will help deter the horrible high-speed wobble.

I don't know my weight + gear - I never wear gear.

It's also no secret that Trolls are nobody's ....er.......I mean.....never mind.

#1: I'm about 210 with gear. I don't have any wobbles up to 135. Never went past that. The bike feels wiggly pushing thru turns though. It has nothing to do with headshake. Just feels like the whole bike is moving around under me. Definitely feels more solid after the mods I made but still there.

Handling mods are: progressive fork springs up front, lowered 1", ricor intiminators, 12.5" 440's out back (standard not HD springs), and solid mounts. Currently running a shinko 170 in back and 120 up front.

#2: I think its kind of funny that some of you guys are getting so worked up over what Nobody has to say. Let him say what he wants. If you don't like it, tell him. No need to ban someone over it though. It makes entertaining reading.

If you have no wobble up to 135 you're fine. When it's there it usually manifests itself by about 115mph.

The one thing that seems to become obvious out of this poll, is that....

... we're mostly all OVERWEIGHT!

LOL

Sorry guys ,:confused2: weight 150 :biglaugh:, top speed 155 :biglaugh: ,wobble... not on this one!:clapping:, not when everythings set right,and both:bang head: tires are good.!

yea!!!!!!!!!! u gotta b joking, some one has a different point of vieu than u and u wan't him banned, mabe u outa be banned, no offense intended:confused2::confused2:

Nah, I agree with rebar on this one. Find some of nobody's prior posts, and decide for yourself.

Anyway, tough to say. I tend to ride more conservatively with a passenger, and I don't think I've ever exceeded 100 riding 2-up, actually rarely top 80. Gotta keep in mind the passenger has a much less secure seating position and doesn't know what you're about to do next. My wobble tends to occur around 130 also. I noticed with a crammed full backpack strapped to the luggage rack, the wobble was considerably worse and came on sooner...couldn't get much past 120. Guess 20lbs of irregular shape mounted high up does nothing for stability....big surprise there.

I've consciously tried "hanging loose" on the handlebars at speed and it does seem to help. The instinctive iron grip at speed seems to contribute to or exaggerate whatever your problem is, be it head bearings, worn/cupped tires, ect. Putting my feet on the engine guard pegs rather than the regular ones seems to help also. Still, the best I've ever seen was somewhere between 135 and 140 on the speedo, and that was only at 8500 in 5th gear with the Venture drive. I'd guess it has the potential for 150-155 given enough room, but the shakes always come on well before that.

I ONLY RUN 30 LBS. OF AIR FRONT & BACK , THE ONLY WOBBLE I'VE FELT IN 7,500 MILES IS WHEN I HAVE TO SLOW DOWN & " RIP " THROUGH SOMEONES YARD ! .. AND JUST FOR THE RECORD , WHEN I HAVE A PASSENGER ON MY BIKE , THE ONLY " WOBBLE " I'M THINKING ABOUT , IS THAT " MONKEY " THATS PRESSED UP AGAINST MY BACK ! .. :rofl_200: :biglaugh: :rofl_200:

I ONLY RUN 30 LBS. OF AIR FRONT & BACK , THE ONLY WOBBLE I'VE FELT IN 7,500 MILES IS WHEN I HAVE TO SLOW DOWN & " RIP " THROUGH SOMEONES YARD ! .. AND JUST FOR THE RECORD , WHEN I HAVE A PASSENGER ON MY BIKE , THE ONLY " WOBBLE " I'M THINKING ABOUT , IS THAT " MONKEY " THATS PRESSED UP AGAINST MY BACK ! .. :rofl_200: :biglaugh: :rofl_200:

Timmy, you live in a world much different from the rest of us!!!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Timmy, you live in a world much different from the rest of us!!!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Sounds like a good place..:biglaugh:

Only wobble I ever had was flyin into a sweeper over 100 mph. I almost went off a over pass.:rofl_200:

Goin straight? I took the original 1985 dunlop front over 140 a week ago. Not a hit of wobble. I guess It just depends on the chinks who built your bike that day.

#1: I'm about 210 with gear. I don't have any wobbles up to 135. Never went past that. The bike feels wiggly pushing thru turns though. It has nothing to do with headshake. Just feels like the whole bike is moving around under me. Definitely feels more solid after the mods I made but still there.

Handling mods are: progressive fork springs up front, lowered 1", ricor intiminators, 12.5" 440's out back (standard not HD springs), and solid mounts. Currently running a shinko 170 in back and 120 up front.

#2: I think its kind of funny that some of you guys are getting so worked up over what Nobody has to say. Let him say what he wants. If you don't like it, tell him. No need to ban someone over it though. It makes entertaining reading.

Agree with free speech. It's not like he can yell FIRE and we have to run. Just use your own extinguisher ! :rofl_200:

I'm in the 150-160# range with gear. I only got the wobbles once and that was at 115mph. I rarely, if ever, will go that fast again and the Max so I haven't worried about it.

What do you all do for fork bracing? Just curious...I have a Scotts on my ZX and it made a huge difference. I wish I could something similar for the Vmax.

Sounds like a good place..:biglaugh:

Only wobble I ever had was flyin into a sweeper over 100 mph. I almost went off a over pass.:rofl_200:

Goin straight? I took the original 1985 dunlop front over 140 a week ago. Not a hit of wobble. I guess It just depends on the chinks who built your bike that day.
You took a 25 year old tire up to that speed. No offense, but I do believe that is a fine line between crazy and stupidity.

I'm curious what "wacked people from the Widwest" look like. Anyone? Nobody?

Latest posts

Back