Speedo bulbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Jim

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, just bought a 9000 mile '85 Max and am completely rebuilding her.

First question (of what I suspect will be many) is how do I get the speedo bulbs out?
I've removed the speedo so that it's just connected by the speedo wire but can't work out how to pull the bulbs out of the back. They've got rubber boots covering them, do I just pull these? I've already given them a good tug but they're not budging so far... I guess the 2 rubber boots ARE covering 2 bulbs?!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
James

Thanks buddy, found that already but still can't work out how to get the damn bulb out! Am I missing something really obvious?!

Mine came out pretty hard. I think i used needle nose pliers to pull on the boots since my fingers are a lil big, lol.

Firm grip
Twist
Pull

This advise can be applied to many things in life. Feel free to pass it along :biglaugh: Seriously though, they just pull out. They get kinda stuck in there after awhile.

I have used those led bulbs for these sockets, more than half quit or start to flicker, I would love to have led bulbs in my 85 but I'm keeping the stock ones for now or replacing with #74 bulbs. On my Goldwings I have literally cut those sockets out and made the holes bigger to stick in a #194 sized led bulb, it's just that those ultra small resistors on these small bulbs go bad too early.
A little bit of silicone grease or Superlube grease on the plugs make them easier to pull out next time.
Don't pull on the wires, pull on the tab with small pliers.

Back