Speedo quit working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
The speedo suddenly quit last night. I disconnected it at the wheel and turning the cable counterclockwise it's moving the needle on the speedo. My question is, does this mean it's the hub on the front wheel for the speedo? Any help appreciated.

Sounds like its the drive mechanism, Ed. If you have the front wheel off the ground and the cable off, try spinning the wheel and see if the hub mechanism is turning.

If you find the issue and want used parts, CaptainKyle's probably got what you need, even if it's a complete speedo... He's got 6 VMaxes at the present and parts off several from the past... Just in Case.. Good Luck.

Sounds like its the drive mechanism, Ed. If you have the front wheel off the ground and the cable off, try spinning the wheel and see if the hub mechanism is turning.

Come to think of it Bob I did have a squeak coming from down in that area and i was going nuts trying to pinpoint it. I remounted the pads and caliper 3 times. Since the speedo quit I noticed on the rest of the way home the noise quit. I think you just nailed it. Thanks dude!!! I figured that's what went but just realized that was the frickin noise!! I didn't even think to check that hub. Also I'd still like for you guys to try to come down before it gets too shitty weather wise. Keep in touch and thanks again, Ed

No problem, Ed! I haven't been riding in the last few weeks. I sneezed hard two weeks ago and apparently pinched a nerve in my back. I can barely stand up and riding the bike has been out of the question. Friggin sucks!

Ed,

I've got a speedo drive and cable on hand with only 5K miles. Great shape. Plus, I'm pretty close to you. If you need any of those parts let me know.

No problem, Ed! I haven't been riding in the last few weeks. I sneezed hard two weeks ago and apparently pinched a nerve in my back. I can barely stand up and riding the bike has been out of the question. Friggin sucks!

Sorry to hear that Bob, that does suck. I had the exact same thing happen to me once and a chiropractor friend of mine hooked some wires to my back and ran electric pulses for about 40 mins and I was back to at least standing up straight again. Not sure about a pinched nerve though. Well, I hope your back heals quick and we can ride again before long. Thanks again for the info and stay in touch. Ed

Ed,

I've got a speedo drive and cable on hand with only 5K miles. Great shape. Plus, I'm pretty close to you. If you need any of those parts let me know.

Thanks Mike, I just may take you up on that. What part of town do you live anyway? I'm in Blawnox in Ohara twp. Hell we should hook up and grab Bill K for a ride before season end. I'm gonna check this hub out and I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again, Ed

Score 1 for sealed bearings. Speedo drive used to share lug with wheel bearing.

Amen bro, I'd really be hosed cause I have Custom Performance Machine Vrod wheels that Paul from Mad Max made custom hubs to fit the Vmax. Ed

Thanks Mike, I just may take you up on that. What part of town do you live anyway? I'm in Blawnox in Ohara twp. Hell we should hook up and grab Bill K for a ride before season end. I'm gonna check this hub out and I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again, Ed

I'm just up the road. I live about 10 minutes away from Pittsburgh Mills Mall. Fawn Twp area if you know where that is. Just around the corner from Lojack's motorcycle shop.

My USD conversion and rear wheel/swingarm project is taking longer than expected. I doubt I'll see the road this year :bang head: I'll PM you my #. If you need either of those parts give me a call.

Back