Speedometer calibration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieK2

Reaction score
My speedo reads highl by about 8 km/hr at 100 km/hr. The bike is a 2012, completely stock. Is there a way to adjust or recalibrate this?

Just can`t wait for a positive answer,
My Royal Venture project using a Vmax speedomeeter have a + or - 6Km difference with GPS

Yes, Mark (Itgoes) put me on to the model and he & Jim (jfeagans) helped me through the install. Speedohealer is an electronic device tho and the Gen I set up is mechanical so it isn't adaptable. Only way I can think of to change the speedo readings is by exchanging drive hub internals with a different Yamaha bike which shares the same housing with different gearing. The Thundercat for example (which is what I used when switching to 17" radials once)

Don't believe there is any way to calibrate the oem speedometer.

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

This device from 12oclocklabs.com is slightly less expensive than the Speedohealer brand. I have 3 of this unit in my garage. The ones for our Runes was completely plug-n-play, while I believe the model for Shala's 09 Vmax required cutting the speed signal wire to install. MY 09 came with one of the Speedhealer brand devices already installed & programmed. Both brands work as advertised.

speadohealer is also a great way to go. I have one on my B King and i made one adjustment and its spot on with my 2 Speedo app's. Even at 100 mph. also come's with a last high speed switch that allows you to see your last highest speed. I didn't think i would even install this but i'm glad i did because it is a fun extra to have.

Most, if not all manufacturers calibrate their speedo's to over read.
In the Europe the standard is -0 (i.e. it can't under read) and up to +10% + 4 k.p.h.

Whilst I can understand that folk may want a speedo that gives the actual speed it gives no room for 'indiscretion' particularly at lower speeds.
This could put you over the speed limit and get you a fine and whatever other sanctions your authorities may apply.
An over reading speedo can mean you stay within the limit.

Would it be an option to print a new face to the speedo, glue it in on top of old one? I've got no speedo, I have measured gps speed to corresponding rpms in highest gear.

Just some notes for the next guy:

I went with the 12clock labs version. It's the universal model number U1 and is $79.99 as of this writing.

It's DIY wired into the harness just before the ECU.
1) Here is a video that shows what wire to cut. Cut with reasonable space to solder on each end, and of course unhook the ECU before proceeding.
2) Connect U1 "Red" to 12V positive (I'm going to look for something keyed myself).
3) Connect U1 "Black" to ground.

4) Connect U1 "White" (input) wire to the ABS/speed sensor (cut) wire.
5) Connect U1 "Blue" (output) wire to the ECU side of the cut wire

Insulate connections, secure unit to frame or battery side cage (user discretion), and reconnect ECU.
Download and follow programming app instructions from 12oclock website.

Fini.

Hope this helps the next guy

Latest posts

Back