Speedometer wines - Loudly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlesin

Reaction score
Hi,

I just noticed my speedometer wines loudly. It comes and goes, but mainly comes.

Is there any fix for this. It is very loud, almost where you think something is really wrong. Thank you

Hi,

I just noticed my speedometer wines loudly. It comes and goes, but mainly comes.

Is there any fix for this. It is very loud, almost where you think something is really wrong. Thank you

When was the last time the cable was greased? You can spray some WD-40 into the cable housing (take it off the speedo), and see if that helps.

I suggest some PB Blaster into the cable housing, and remove the inner drive wire, and use a good moly grease from one end to the other on the wire, and re-install.

Grease or oil and not wd-40 as it is a solvent and not a lubricant.

How is it a solvent?

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[5] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Does it dry out? 50% mineral spirits.
WD-40 was first used by the military in the '50s to clean up Atlas missile parts. ... It is NOT a good lubricant, but is useful as a cleaning solvent.

Does it dry out? 50% mineral spirits.
WD-40 was first used by the military in the '50s to clean up Atlas missile parts. ... It is NOT a good lubricant, but is useful as a cleaning solvent.

please read.

The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil.

Also, please click on the link. It wasnt to clean the atlas missile, it was to protect the parts.

The spray, composed of various hydrocarbons, was originally designed to be used by Convair to protect the outer skin and, more importantly, the paper-thin balloon tanks of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.[3][4] These stainless steel fuel tanks were so fragile that when empty they had to be kept inflated with nitrogen to prevent them from collapsing. WD-40 was later found to have many household uses[1] and was made available to consumers in San Diego in 1958.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation CANNOT accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons

PJ-1 cable lube or aerosol white lithium based grease.
WD-40 will not stay inside the cable and what does will eventually dry out.

PJ-1 cable lube or aerosol white lithium based grease.
WD-40 will not stay inside the cable and what does will eventually dry out.

WD-40 is a quick fix....everyone has it, so you can see if it will work. There are better lubes out there. BUT, use the WD_40, and if it works, then you know what the issue is, and then can buy a better lube. Otherwise, you buy a better lube, try it, and it doesnt work, youve wasted money.

THIS, is why I suggested it.

WD-40 is a quick fix....every has it, so you can see if it will work. There are better lubes out there. BUT, use the WD_40, and if it works, then you know what the issue is, and then can buy a better lube. Otherwise, you buy a better lube, try it, and it doesnt work, youve wasted money.

THIS, is why I suggested it.

But didn't you have to pay for the WD-40?:confused2:
To each their own -I am not putting anything in there that dries.

But didn't you have to pay for the WD-40?:confused2:

Again, you comment on the post without reading.

WD-40 is a quick fix....everyone has it, so you can see if it will work.

95% of the people I know, will have WD-40 on hand.

Although my hearing wasn't so good, what I thought was the speedo, turned out to be the speedo drive gear. I had moisture in it. blew it out with compressed air and re-lubed.

This is especially important on early Maxes because the left front wheel bearings are not sealed from the speedo drive.

Why do I have the feeling your tool box is full of duct tape and WD-40----
If it won't stick grab the duct tape-If it's stuck grab the WD-40----:rofl_200:

It's so nice to see you guys play nice. That's why I love this forum.

Thanks....lets face it, acting nice is the adult thing to do, if not you can get suspended for a while, so there is also incentive to play nice.

Latest posts

Back