Spin-on Oil filter Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are adapters, but no, I don't have a source. You have to change the cross-brace in the frame below the front headers to clear the disposable filter. Really, there's no benefit I see from going to a spin-on filter instead of a canister. Now, if you were trying to fit a late model spin-on filter engine into a canister frame, then there's a legitimate reason: you have to change the frame cross-brace, to fit the canister filter frame, simply with that cross-piece switch.

Last edited:
There are adapters, but no, I don't have a source. You have to change the cross-brace in the frame below the front headers to clear the disposable filter. Really, there's no benefit I see from going to a spin-on filter instead of a canister. Now, if you were trying to fit a late model spin-on filter engine into a canister frame, then there's a legitimate reason: you have to change the frame cross-brace, to fit the canister filter frame, simply with that cross-piece switch.
Ya, I’ve seen those carved cross member braces that go around it. I just figured it would be easier & more modern. Plus filters are easier to find. So it’s just an adapter fitting? Maybe to change to the difference in thread size?

The straight cross brace didn’t seem to stop the fellow who modified the 90 that I have now…

Attachments

• 60F76F9B-4209-47B6-8451-FAA518CD07E6.jpeg
    60F76F9B-4209-47B6-8451-FAA518CD07E6.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 53
If you compare the early and late parts manual pics the spin-on seems to be achieved by inserting the adapter, part #2.
As has been mentioned previously the later cross member would also be required.

Benefits to the spin on.......more filter choices, better filters, convenience, not having to worry about the internal assembly requirements of the cartridge style, better cooling.
Ya, I’ve seen those carved cross member braces that go around it. I just figured it would be easier & more modern. Plus filters are easier to find. So it’s just an adapter fitting? Maybe to change to the difference in thread size?
I changed my gen 1 , 95, unit a few years back , 10 years or so, along with the frame brace. I bought a kit from Korry Hogan that included the filter housing and a washable filter.Still working fine. Can't remember his company name.

You can find adapters to remote-mount it, if that floats your boat. 'Cat-skinning,' you-know.

I've used this one for years and have had no problems with it and I like being able to select oil filters of my choice...................https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Adaptor-Plate-Cross-Bar-85-95-Yamaha-VMAX/261495448083

I've used this one for years and have had no problems with it and I like being able to select oil filters of my choice...................https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Adaptor-Plate-Cross-Bar-85-95-Yamaha-VMAX/261495448083
Awesome! 👏 That’s exactly what I needed. A simple Link.

So, what are the negatives in not having the altered cross brace? Limited (smaller) filter choices?

The reason I ask is that I was considering swapping the spin on adapter on my 90 that I intend to sell onto the 86 that I intend to keep. It obviously works as it’s installed and has the straight early factory frame, but is that really such a bad thing?

So, what are the negatives in not having the altered cross brace? Limited (smaller) filter choices?

The reason I ask is that I was considering swapping the spin on adapter on my 90 that I intend to sell onto the 86 that I intend to keep. It obviously works as it’s installed and has the straight early factory frame, but is that really such a bad thing?
Like Ron Popeil, he of the RONCO Rotisserie:

"set-it and forget-it!"

If it fits w/o using a semi-circular late-model front-of-frame transverse brace, with the setup you have, do it.

Easier oil changes. Easier to source filters. I have never heard where the cartridge is any worse or smaller in filtration area over the spin on. If I had a choice, I take spin on unless you have some collector quality early model you want to keep stock.

Back