Splitting cases for transmission inspection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
Clymer says to remove the cylinder head first. Then, when splitting the cases, lift the top case from bottom; leaving transmission shafts, middle gear, balancer shaft, and crankshaft on the bottom half. Can I just remove the bottom case from the top if I only care about the transmission shafts?

This will be my first time removing and splitting the engine. I've managed to avoid having to do this for 25+ years of Vmax ownership. :)

Thanks.

Mark

Clymer says to remove the cylinder head first. Then, when splitting the cases, lift the top case from bottom; leaving transmission shafts, middle gear, balancer shaft, and crankshaft on the bottom half. Can I just remove the bottom case from the top if I only care about the transmission shafts?

This will be my first time removing and splitting the engine. I've managed to avoid having to do this for 25+ years of Vmax ownership. :)

Thanks.

Mark
+1 , hunt down some Yamabond for the re-seal, you'll appreciate it.

Get a large baking pan, put a sacrifical rag in the bottom and flip it over. A lot easier to work on it that way. Lower the bottom on to the top.

Cases are split. When rejoining, I'm assuming I need to lift the top onto the bottom case? Doesn't look like the tranny shafts would remain in place in the lower half if flipping over but wanted to ask first.

Any pictures to claim "Vmax transmission mechanic" title? Pictures or it never happened!!! ;)

Just set it up like this:

1640183767573.jpeg

Then lower the bottom half on top of it making sure the shifting forks locate correctly. Once tightened, check all gears work and there is no binding.

Any pictures to claim "Vmax transmission mechanic" title? Pictures or it never happened!!! ;)
Not really! I haven't disassembled yet but gear teeth look great. The leading edges of the dogs on the 4th countershaft gear look a bit worn. I'll probably be replacing that along with its mating gear and will most likely do the shift forks. Bearings all seem good so far. Need to measure countershaft to see if it's shimmed correctly. Debating Royal Star 5th gear too.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 20
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 17
Just set it up like this:

View attachment 81757

Then lower the bottom half on top of it making sure the shifting forks locate correctly. Once tightened, check all gears work and there is no binding.
Thanks, will give that a go. Was worried the forks would stay mated to the shift drum grooves correctly doing it this way.

Latest posts

Back