Spoked rear wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adie Porter

Reaction score
Hi do any of you guru types know of another shaft drive Yamaha rear wheel that is spoked and would be a direct swap for the OEM version?

upload_2019-11-6_19-12-44.png

Hi do any of you guru types know of another shaft drive Yamaha rear wheel that is spoked and would be a direct swap for the OEM version?

View attachment 70375

'a direct swap for the OEM version of what? '

If you're speaking of the VMax, there never-was a spoked version wheel on a stock bike. The original Kerker/Dynojet bike had a custom set of spoked wheels, probably made by Buchanan. I've seen one-other set, it was on a bike here in south Florida and I believe Captain Kyle bought the bike, just to-get those wheels.

If you have a VMax sporting a set of spoked wheels, you have a very-rare aftermarket accessory.

Maybe a rephrase would clarify?
I am looking at a spoked wheel conversion for one of my V-Maxes and was wondering if any of the other Yamaha shaft drive models with spoked wheels would fit like the vstar 1100. Before i seek prices to get some made.

Cheers, they seem to be a different size.
I noticed a couple of suzukis and hondas have the same rim size, might save a bit of machining if i only have to do the hub?

It's entirely possible to machine a new hub and spoke it to a generic rim

Now that's what im looking for. Perfect.
hey Vmax-Mike, is ryan in here? any idea who or where he got them done?

Thanks Jedi, it looks like thats what im going to have to get done, just looking for anyone set up for doing it in Aus.

I don't think he wants to sell them next time I see him I will ask

Maybe a rephrase would clarify?
I am looking at a spoked wheel conversion for one of my V-Maxes and was wondering if any of the other Yamaha shaft drive models with spoked wheels would fit like the vstar 1100. Before i seek prices to get some made.

I've been looking at the VMAX and VSTAR 1100 catalogs. The transmission is really similar. It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried to change them. It would be a good option.

I have used a variety of Venture/Royal Star gear sets. Some require the entire set to be swapped while others allow for a gear to be swapped with some machine work. That is what we get the overdrive 5th we use from (Royal Star Tour Deluxe).OEM Gearing Options.jpg

Hi Sean, thanks for that, been off the site for a while and missed this gem.
The charts are way over my head. Are you saying that a XVS1100 spoked wheel would fit a v-max bevel box, but with different internal gearing?
Or can the spline/cush drive from the XVS wheel be machined and/or swapped over to the Max one, so i can use the V-max Bevel box and gearing?
I imagine most if not all of the offset can be addressed with the spokes.

There is no Yamaha wheel from another bike which swaps in to work properly. The Gen 1 wheels I have made in 17" or 18" use a VMax splined center section adapted to your choice of size of rim. A 5-1/2" wide rim is what I use for either 17" (welded-bottom pic) or 18" (bolt-up, top picture) as anything wider than that requires re-work of the swingarm to allow clearance for the tire.

18 inch X 5 and one-half inch VMax wheel.jpgVmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back