Sport bike forks???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
:ummm: Alright guys, My never ending thirst for knowledge of stuff I dont REALLY need to do to my bike has led me here....

I want street bike inverted forks,what do you know? I want as much info as I can be fed.Such as:

-What is the closest match to stock as far as measurements?
-Will I need to use new clamps or can I use the old ones?
-Will my stock rim fit?
-If my stock rim DOES fit (doubt it) will the brakes line up?
-Is it worth the trouble?
-does is lower the bike much?
-Where does my speedometer go?
-Is it easiest just to get a set up that still had rim,fender,brakes,and bars still on them rather than try to use some of my original stuff?
-What kinda modifiaction has to be done to fit them? Shims,spacers,new bearings, longer bolts?
-is there ANYTHING that will drop in place without mod?

I have NO clue how this whole things works and I want to learn as much as I can before I go making a mess of things.

Based on how tough it will be will determine if I do it or not.

For all the effort you will go through you would be better off to talk to Tom at Cycle One Off about his USD front end. He makes a great front end with new triples and sportbike forks, AND you can get it set up to keep your front wheel and speedo drive...... Just my $.02 of course. If you want to see what one looks like check out my album.

i've done this mod 4 times over the past 2 years-upgrading every time. first setup was 2000 r1 forks/coo triples. next was 03 r1 forks/otec triple. next was 05 r1 forks/otec triple and lastly a set of chromed 06 r1 forks and otec triple. i'll try to answer as many questions as i can
1) never ran across a set of usd's that were the same length. you can use an extension with the coo triples or go for broke and get the otecs which are droppped to get back the lost length.
2) you will need a new triple, coo, or otec. if you research you can find a bunch of guys now doing them as well. i got some streetfighter friends who can do them as well. none are going to be cheap!
3) i never ran the usd's with the stock wheel, but it can be done
4) everything will line up brake-wise. however if you start to mix and match parts like i did there will be more resaerch needed. my current setup uses a 2000 front wheel but the 06 forks with the radial mount brakes.
5) it is definetely worth it, no more front end wobble and radials all around
6) this mod must be done after you have put a radial on the rear! yes it will lower the bike-to the point where it would be advisable to cut and weld the stock sidestand.
7) i know the coo and the otec triple allow for all the stock parts to be reattached. speedo sits in same spot but it takes another mod to the forks to adapt the speedo drive. easier to go aftermarket with a magnetic sending unit
8) i found it cheaper to purchase the r1 front ends with the wheel, rotors, and fender-you'll use all of it
9) most of the stuff that is available currently will allow you to just put the parts on. i didnt need anything except the front ends and the triples
10) there is nothing that is direct bolt on for frontends=you'll at least need the triples to make it work.

if you need anymore help just let me know. i could do this in my sleep now lol.

later odieoh24

I have a custom top triple that will allow bolting on a set of inverted forks (I had use R1 forks) that uses the OEM R1 lower w/ vmax stem pressed in place. It allowed re-using the rest of the stock parts. I'd take $500 for the triple and another $250 for the lower triple. I do have a wheel and front forks if desired.

On a side note, I think I have 2 custom axles left that will allow you to reuse your stock wheel.

Sean

:ummm: Alright guys, My never ending thirst for knowledge of stuff I dont REALLY need to do to my bike has led me here....

I want street bike inverted forks,what do you know? I want as much info as I can be fed.Such as:

-What is the closest match to stock as far as measurements?
-Will I need to use new clamps or can I use the old ones?
-Will my stock rim fit?
-If my stock rim DOES fit (doubt it) will the brakes line up?
-Is it worth the trouble?
-does is lower the bike much?
-Where does my speedometer go?
-Is it easiest just to get a set up that still had rim,fender,brakes,and bars still on them rather than try to use some of my original stuff?
-What kinda modifiaction has to be done to fit them? Shims,spacers,new bearings, longer bolts?
-is there ANYTHING that will drop in place without mod?

I have NO clue how this whole things works and I want to learn as much as I can before I go making a mess of things.

Based on how tough it will be will determine if I do it or not.

Find my crash thread and look what i have done.

Hmmm, It would seem this will be a cost thing. Might have to wait a while. I saw sets of forks with clamps still on them for pretty cheap on Ebay and thought I might be able to swoop on them. Later days I think.

Thanks guys,When I eventually start buying the parts to do it Ill know who to ask!

Want to make your bike handle great and cost a fraction of the amount? Race-tech springs and some 15wt oil. Emulators or intiminators if money allows.

Chris

I will take this into consideration for sure! My biggest laugh is the sport bike guys seein the old "Cruise Missile" screamin up behind them when they think they are ganna pull away in the twisties.

I can throw here weight pretty well but makin it easier wont hurt.

I will take this into consideration for sure! My biggest laugh is the sport bike guys seein the old "Cruise Missile" screamin up behind them when they think they are ganna pull away in the twisties.

I can throw here weight pretty well but makin it easier wont hurt.

i'd keep your eye out for another progressive deal. pick up a set of 440 shocks cheap from dennis kirk or something for a couple hundred and get a pair of springs free if they offer it again. then sell the 440's for cost or use 'em. take a look at the progressive thread for how u tell which will be 'close'

I was just looking for advice on this same topic, now i have an idea of the cost, i'll save my pennies for a bit longer before i get serious about it. Hopefully a late winter project.
Thanks for all the info. guys.

I have a complete front and rear end setup for sale right now (posted in the Morleys Muscle sale thread).

When did Dennis Kirk offer P.S. 440's for "a couple hundred ($) & a free pair of (front) springs?" i don't recall reading about that on here in the recent past!

I have 'lesser' P.S. rear shocks but would be interested in that Kirk deal if they choose to offer it again. Right now I have a '93-up front end on my '92, w/4 pot Yamaha calipers & 298 mm rotors. Would someone please notify us if Kirk does it again, thanks.

I used to buy rear tires from them when I first bought my bike & they were ~$60! Now I am saving for a rear wheel mod. I wanna go "radial."

i'd keep your eye out for another progressive deal. pick up a set of 440 shocks cheap from dennis kirk or something for a couple hundred and get a pair of springs free if they offer it again. then sell the 440's for cost or use 'em. take a look at the progressive thread for how u tell which will be 'close'

When did Dennis Kirk offer P.S. 440's for "a couple hundred ($) & a free pair of (front) springs?" i don't recall reading about that on here in the recent past!

I have 'lesser' P.S. rear shocks but would be interested in that Kirk deal if they choose to offer it again. Right now I have a '93-up front end on my '92, w/4 pot Yamaha calipers & 298 mm rotors. Would someone please notify us if Kirk does it again, thanks.

I used to buy rear tires from them when I first bought my bike & they were ~$60! Now I am saving for a rear wheel mod. I wanna go "radial."

It was a, from what I can tell, a one time thing a few yrs ago.

It was a, from what I can tell, a one time thing a few yrs ago.
It was 2 years ago I think. $159.00 for a set of 440's and a voucher for free Progessive fork springs. I jumped on that deal, thanks to Garrett. There was a limited amount for sale. I love the rear shocks (440's), but think I'd like to try steady rate springs. I usually never get anything that reasonable, actually it was a steal.
Steve

:punk: Hey The other Vmax chat group has been looking at this guys set-up. It's cheaper than COO and drops the forks inside the triples if you want. Good Luck, Spurs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Billet-TH...21?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4cfa4d8695

Nice looking triples!

Whats the other vmax chat group? You mean the UK one?

I've got a set of those on my bike. Haven't been able to road test it yet. It was the first set he made to fit a set of Gen2 Busa forks. No complaints with fitting them. Just keep in mind how you want to have things finished (i.e chrome/ powder/paint...) The thousands add up quick.

Latest posts

Back