ST2 Self Canceling Turn Signals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Larson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two features from the Gen1 that I miss the most are the center stand and the self canceling turn signals. I now have self canceling turn signals on the Gen2. The unit that fixes this is the ST2 Turn System. I put the unit in the back of the bike, behind the passenger seat. It was small challenge to mount it level and straight. I cut plastic stand offs to mimic the curve of the mud guard.

The bigger project was the wiring. Behind the head light is a three wire connector that is the left and right signals plus power to the horn. Next to that is an eight wire connector that has the power for the turn signals. I "learned" to depin the connectors and moved the power between them. There is a picture here and it is not pretty.

That gave me a single OEM connector with everything I needed for the lighting side. I got an additional set of connectors and made a custom harness so now it was plug and play for the signal side. Then the power for the ST2 it self I connected to my new Amplink.

The bench tests work great. I have not done a road test yet as I am doing Mike Kemp Halos next so the front end is staying disassembled for another week.

Attachments

• ST2 Mounted.JPG
    ST2 Mounted.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Bottom Turn Switch.JPG
    Bottom Turn Switch.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • LHS Handlbar Wiring Connectors.JPG
    LHS Handlbar Wiring Connectors.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Power to Switch.JPG
    Power to Switch.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Harness Connector.JPG
    Harness Connector.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Harness.JPG
    Harness.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I installed the ST2 on my Gen2 and works perfectly , is so sensitive even when i change lines as long i tilt just little the bike !!
coming also from a Gen1 it was hard not to have signal cancellation !! worth the moneys !!

The two features from the Gen1 that I miss the most are the center stand and the self canceling turn signals. I now have self canceling turn signals on the Gen2. The unit that fixes this is the ST2 Turn System. I put the unit in the back of the bike, behind the passenger seat. It was small challenge to mount it level and straight. I cut plastic stand offs to mimic the curve of the mud guard.

The bigger project was the wiring. Behind the head light is a three wire connector that is the left and right signals plus power to the horn. Next to that is an eight wire connector that has the power for the turn signals. I "learned" to depin the connectors and moved the power between them. There is a picture here and it is not pretty.

That gave me a single OEM connector with everything I needed for the lighting side. I got an additional set of connectors and made a custom harness so now it was plug and play for the signal side. Then the power for the ST2 it self I connected to my new Amplink.

The bench tests work great. I have not done a road test yet as I am doing Mike Kemp Halos next so the front end is staying disassembled for another week.
I put the ST2 on my 06 and it works but the console turn indicator doesn't work - bulb is good. I consulted with their techs but no success. Any ideas to resustate the indicator light???

I put the ST2 on my 06 and it works but the console turn indicator doesn't work - bulb is good. I consulted with their techs but no success. Any ideas to resustate the indicator light???
The '06 is a Gen1 do you mean an '09?
Here is a video of my Instrument Console lying on the fender. I have not reassembled the front end yet. They are firing back and forth.

I looked at the wiring diagram. The signal to the unit is carried by the same Dark Green and Chocolate wires from the three wire connector. I did a screen shot and have attached it.

I would be suspicious that you have an open circuit at the connector where they transition to Brown and Green in the harness up to that unit. Does everything else light up on it?

Attachments

• IMG_0479.MOV
    24.9 MB
  • VMAX Multifunction Meter Indicator Lights.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
The '06 is a Gen1 do you mean an '09?
Here is a video of my Instrument Console lying on the fender. I have not reassembled the front end yet. They are firing back and forth.

I looked at the wiring diagram. The signal to the unit is carried by the same Dark Green and Chocolate wires from the three wire connector. I did a screen shot and have attached it.

I would be suspicious that you have an open circuit at the connector where they transition to Brown and Green in the harness up to that unit. Does everything else light up on it?

I still have the shop manual for the Gen1 and will have to go look at the diagrams. Since it came with self canceling indicators, I suspect that the OEM unit sends the blinking signals to the Instrument Console.

Did you completely uninstall the Yamaha controls when you went to the ST2?

Latest posts

Back