Staking/Unstaking middle gear nut

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
How do you properly unstake the middle gear nut and also restake it? What tools do you use and what procedure? I want to remove and replace that nut in the engine. Also if its done in the engine willing the banging around on the nut cause any unwanted consequences on the tranny?

Why are you needing to replace it? They never normally need to come off.

As far I remember hes planing to PC the nut.

Normally Im using flat screwdriver to unbend and just a hammer to rebend the nut.

At your place I would machine fancy nut with screw locking, not stake locking so you could re/instal it with no pain nor damage.

Prez...good idea..I did'nt think of machining a nut...alum or steel or does it matter? After looking at the staking job I have it looks like it's staked into some sort of seal but I don't see this seal on the parts diagram. Is this right? What is it actually being staked into?

Prez...good idea..I did'nt think of machining a nut...alum or steel or does it matter? After looking at the staking job I have it looks like it's staked into some sort of seal but I don't see this seal on the parts diagram. Is this right? What is it actually being staked into?

Alum is too soft for that kinda nut - use carbon steel or stainless steel.
I can design one for ya if you want - i just need to find some free time which could be dificult LOL

Theres no seal there. Just usual staking. I have had a real PITA with one nut in the past. Some genius decieded to use red loctite on it :bang head:

Prez

That would be great if you could..no rush...or would it be better to just use stock and have a screw hole drilled into it? Can you describe better where to place the screw hole? I don't know how hard it would be to tighten it though with the limited space in there.

Tom
(yes its part #8)

Maybe something like this? If you want 2d drawning you must wait a little more lol

(left click on the sketch to activate 3d view)

Attachments

• davidon nut.pdf
    350.3 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back