Start a VMF list for Brothers stuck on the road

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
I was talking to Gary and Garrett about starting a list of members in different areas that would be willing to help out a stranded member. Gary is checking on the site software to see what we can do with what he already has.
Anyone familiar with the BWM owners list? It's a list of people with a trailer that are willing to go a certain distance to pick you up. People that can lend tools to a stuck member and meet them to help out. Members that are willing to allow camping or will put up a stranded member in their home. We can modify this anyway we want it
In this age of cell phones, a list could be accessed right from your browser and the publication cost can be eliminated.
I'll be willing to help organize the whole list. Different people from split up areas of this country, or anywhere else will be needed.
This thought came to me when Tom form MD got stuck last summer. And, last week as I was sitting on the side of the highway stuck. Most services will leave you by the side of the road a long time. I had to call a tow company myself also, and was told at first I didn't have tow service by the unhelpful young lady at AMA. Then the unhelpful person from AMA, my paid for roadside non assistance plan, said I had no coverage. A return call came on the phone to verify I did have coverage and a rattle off of a phone number for a tow company then a hang up. The tow company wanted $200 plus surcharges they couldn't estimate till they hooked me up for a 50-60 mile tow. They charge round trip for them, which is their prerogative.I called the wife, and got my own trailer in action.
Anyway, I'm looking for a show of interest? Does this list appeal to anyone? What road service plans have you used and how did they treat you?
Steve-o

Last edited:
Sounds great! I'd be willing to help out with towing/ tools anywhere in Utah/ Wyoming and southern Idaho... Also have a couple loaner bikes I would probably lend out so you can finish trip while you wait on repairs

if your stuck in whitehorse, for sure i got tools, a truck, can get a trailer at a shack of a hat and can show you were the Klondike entertainment is on a tues night bahahahahah

Sounds like the same thing the VMOA has on thier website. I think it is a great idea to have a similar list here.

the BEST way to do this (whether it exists or not) is to be able to interface with a map UI (such as google maps) and have everyone give a location and what they're capable of providing. it'd be cool if you could even draw a X mile radius of your pickup capabilities and your gps on your phone could see who's radius you are in.

I am willing to help also. I have a trailer, tools and a place where bikes can be worked on also.

that cool thing to do. anyone willing to drive here to greece if i am stuck LOL.
seriously this bery cool. i wish i could be part of it and give any help i could give. but you never know right.

the BEST way to do this (whether it exists or not) is to be able to interface with a map UI (such as google maps) and have everyone give a location and what they're capable of providing. it'd be cool if you could even draw a X mile radius of your pickup capabilities and your gps on your phone could see who's radius you are in.

you mean something like this? New VMaxForum rider's map or something more involved?

Depending on time of year, I float anywhere between Potsdam, Schroon, or Troy. I drive a truck and have ramps, and could get a flatbed trailer if needed. I also always carry a 2.5 gallon gas can in the backseat of my truck. Never needed it until last month, filled up a stranded Quebec biker who ran dry on 87.

Having tried to do it twice, "flagging someone down" is a lot tougher than it would seem. I ran out of gas on my Magna years ago in the Adirondacks, near North Creek. At the time I wasn't real familiar with the area and had no idea where the nearest gas station was. I was trying to wave cars over for probably half an hour and nobody even tapped the brakes. I gave up, walked a ways, and saw a van pull into a church, I knocked on the door and that guy ran off and brought me a small can of gas and told me where the nearest station was.

North Creek is about as rural and "old timey" as towns get(at least in the summertime before all the NJ yuppies come up to go skiing at Gore), and still nobody would stop to help.

Whenever I see a biker on the side of the road, I always put the window down and give them a "thumbs up" sign to see if they need help. Usually its nothing, they're waiting for buddies or looking at a map. But last time he was out of gas at 10pm on the highway of a foreign country.

We'd have the VMF "roadside assistance" plan.

I think its a great idea, and being a mechanic, I would help anyone who needed it who broke down near me. The only downside might be if someone got on here and got all of our personal info and did something bad with it. Maybe I'm just paranoid......

Thanks for all the replies everybody. Please keep the great ideas coming. I'm waiting on Gary to see what our software will handle. Keeping it simple will be the fastest way to get it up and running. Region by region sound good to organize?
I'd like to see this in operation within a month. I think as more members read the thread, more interest will generate.
Steve-o

I think its a great idea, and being a mechanic, I would help anyone who needed it who broke down near me. The only downside might be if someone got on here and got all of our personal info and did something bad with it. Maybe I'm just paranoid......

We could have an option of e-mail only contact?. Myself, I'll post my phone number. Home addresses need not be posted to protect everybody,but again, optional. But, that's a good point. Thanks.
Maybe have a sponsor to be listed if you haven't been on the site for a determined period? A sponsor with at least a minimum post or time on this site?

I think it's a great idea!! I'm always worried that if I breakdown I only have my one son that can help but he doesnt have a trailer. I've been fortunate so far but that service would be awesome. I'd help anyone I could anyway I could and if anyone locks themselves out of their bike I'll gladly open it. Oh, shit, guess that won't help. But seriously anything I can do to help anyone near Pgh I'll do what ever I can. Ed

yes exactly, except i was up in VT somehow and a lot of the PA guys are down in the gulf for some reason?

I saw that yesterdaywhen reading a different thread and thought it was vandalism.......I couldn't figure out how to get myself on there either...DOH!! :bang head:

I was talking to Gary and Garrett about starting a list of members in different areas that would be willing to help out a stranded member. Gary is checking on the site software to see what we can do with what he already has.
Anyone familiar with the BWM owners list? It's a list of people with a trailer that are willing to go a certain distance to pick you up. People that can lend tools to a stuck member and meet them to help out. Members that are willing to allow camping or will put up a stranded member in their home. We can modify this anyway we want it
In this age of cell phones, a list could be accessed right from your browser and the publication cost can be eliminated.
I'll be willing to help organize the whole list. Different people from split up areas of this country, or anywhere else will be needed.
This thought came to me when Tom form MD got stuck last summer. And, last week as I was sitting on the side of the highway stuck. Most services will leave you by the side of the road a long time. I had to call a tow company myself also, and was told at first I didn't have tow service by the unhelpful young lady at AMA. Then the unhelpful person from AMA, my paid for roadside non assistance plan, said I had no coverage. A return call came on the phone to verify I did have coverage and a rattle off of a phone number for a tow company then a hang up. The tow company wanted $200 plus surcharges they couldn't estimate till they hooked me up for a 50-60 mile tow. They charge round trip for them, which is their prerogative.I called the wife, and got my own trailer in action.
Anyway, I'm looking for a show of interest? Does this list appeal to anyone? What road service plans have you used and how did they treat you?
Steve-o
Steve - what a great idea!
I live in eastern Canada,I have a few tools and resources, and in a pince could probably have the use of a towing trailer.. At the very least, I could put up a stranded rider for a spell.
On the flip side, I'm planning another major tour myself next year, all dependant on my personal situation at home, and time available. At minimum, this will involve a toot to the west coast of Canada and back, via different routes.
The best case scenario will involve me leaving in May, travelling down the coast to Key West, then around the gulf states(never visited), across the lower states, then up thru the west coast, hopefully alll the way to AK. (I was there in '08, but didn't see as much as I wanted to, due to the weather.)
I will probably be traveling alone for the majority of my trip, which bums me out, but won't stop me from going. A list of contacts, like you are proposing, would ease my worries considerably. Last year, I had a few members on my "lifeline" list, people who I had contacted prior to leaving, and had agreed to help if I had any problems. As luck would have it, the bike ran flawlessly, but I still managed to drop in and say hello to one of these individuals. It shouldn't surprise anyone to know that this fella's name was Sean Morley.
As for road service agreements, I have been with the CAA(the equivilent of AAA) for years now, for both the bike and cars. Never had occasion to use it. My particular plan will tow up to 200 kilometers free, and provide free gas, in case of a empty tank.
I encourage you to make this list happen!
Thanks, Miles

Latest posts

Back