Started modding the new (to me) max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sellinger

Reaction score
Hey guys! Bought this 95 max a couple months ago, the previous owner dropped it in his drive way and with the help of this site i finally started getting her into road worthy condition. I Just got done Adding new clutch/brake levers, shift linkage/foot rest, new grips/mirrors, painted the engine, put new anodized red bolts in, painted the carb covers black, misc routine maintenance, Did some polishing and throttle adjustments and hit the road. And man, this is the most exciting bike ive ever been on. It turns heads everywhere. Let me know what you guys think I should do next, other than start polshing the wheels. Oh and i added Exactrep engine covers, thought it was a nice touch.

DSC02058.jpg

Sweet ride! If I was you I'd trash those tires and get something a little more sticky next. I used to have those on mine and just remembering them makes me shiver..

Love the candy red tho - looks hot! No wonder you're turning heads :)

You should be close to all the big events here in FLA. Try to make as many as you can to see what other bikes have done and when you see them in person, you know whether it is for you or not. If you want to try a Maxgasser seat, send me a private message and I'll set you up. Patmax

Bike looks good:biglaugh:,I was thinkin it might look just a little better with a MAXGASSER on it too!

Thanks for the response guys, I look forward to hitting up some meets etc. I can see how the mods get out of control for these bikes, wasn't aware there was so much out there. Ill have to get back to you guys on the seat ;) one thing...ok...not just one maybe just a handful of things at a time. ;)

Sweet ride! If I was you I'd trash those tires and get something a little more sticky next. I used to have those on mine and just remembering them makes me shiver..

Love the candy red tho - looks hot! No wonder you're turning heads :)

Don't let anyone tell ya that '95 isn't the best year for the Max!!... :eusa_dance:....and +1 on the tire upgrade. Run those puppies to the cords then get some good tires. I put on the Metzlers and still am lovin the major increase in feedback and control.

Otherwise do what these guys are sayin.......and ride, ride, ride!!!....ENJOY!!

Thanks for the response guys, I look forward to hitting up some meets etc. I can see how the mods get out of control for these bikes, wasn't aware there was so much out there. Ill have to get back to you guys on the seat ;) one thing...ok...not just one maybe just a handful of things at a time. ;)

Mods can get out of control:ummm::ummm::ummm: Must have missed that somewhere when I bought Toxic:rofl_200:

Right now, I'm spending every spare penny on the 2 VMax's I have. Seems to be worse than a boat at draining finances. CaptainKyle just bought another parts bike, OMG there goes any hope of extra cash laying around here...:rofl_200:

Good Luck with your mods,
Dave in St. Petersburg, Florida

What I will do is get rid of the radiator scoops as you have, they make the thing look like a cancer.

Thanks for the responses guys, as for the tires go...unfortunately i just put those tires on it along with new fork seals. However, it doesn't seem like it will take me long to burn through this pair. Oh and i see alot of you guys are in tampa/oldsmar area, i was just down in Oldsmar (easlake woodlands) for xmas visiting my parents...next time i will bring the max!

I'll vouch for the Metz Marathon (me880) tires. You can easily shove a 170 in the back also for a bit better hook-up also. Depending on how hard you ride, a rear tire will last you anywhere from about 2k(burnout at every light) to around 10k(drive like grandma). My last rear(an avon venom....it sucked ass), was showing cords at about 7500.

Make sure to download your free service manual from vmaxoutlaw.com, it'll be your best buddy.

Poke around here, read the stickys in all the forums, you'll bound to find mods or ideas you like. VMF is THE treasure trove for vmax information.

My suggestion would be to upgrade the front brakes first, the stock are kind of, well, sucky. Good news is R1 calipers will bolt right on and can be had on ebay all day long. I got the R1 master cylinder also and SS lines, great feel, no fade, awesome power. Slows this big bike down in a hurry with the lightest pull on two fingers.

COPs (coil on plugs) are another easy, cheap, worthwhile mod a lot of people have done. Gives crisper throttle response and easier starting. Plus, you never have to bother with plug wires/caps again. See the electrical section for a sticky on them. I installed mine for $50 and about an hour of time.

Shift lights that mount to the speedo are also popular, since the Max's tach is too small and in the wrong place, and these engines don't like to be over-revved.

Lose the stock muffler. Go for a full system if you have the money (around a grand), but even slip-ons(couple hundred) are worth it for the weight savings if nothing else. The stock muffler is a total brick, it weighs a ton. I'm partial to the dual Holeshots, gives a big-block V8 rumble without being obnoxiously loud. Go for a Kerker if you want loud, Jardine and Marks also offer up nice options.

Thanks for the responses guys, as for the tires go...unfortunately i just put those tires on it along with new fork seals. However, it doesn't seem like it will take me long to burn through this pair. Oh and i see alot of you guys are in tampa/oldsmar area, i was just down in Oldsmar (easlake woodlands) for xmas visiting my parents...next time i will bring the max!
Yep I am in Oldsmar any time your in the area feel free to give me a call 813-270-0000 I also keep quite a few parts around.

"I'll vouch for the Metz Marathon (me880) tires. You can easily shove a 170 in the back also for a bit better hook-up also. Depending on how hard you ride, a rear tire will last you anywhere from about 2k(burnout at every light) to around 10k(drive like grandma)."

Double ditto re the Metzler Marathons. My present front has 29,000 kilometers on it, with half the original tread depth remaining. The rear has 19,000, with a third of the tread left. But almost all accumulated at highway speeds, no burnouts. My next rear tire may be a 170, since everyone says installation is "no problem". The bigger contact patch may increase the longevity of the tire????? Anyone notice this???
Cheers! Miles "Grandma" Long

Back