Started The Busa USD Swap Tonight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-3446

Reaction score
Hey Gang...

Just started the Busa USD swap a little while ago around 11 PM. Got the stock front off Max, have the USD triples installed, all the headlight stuff, and ready for the forks.

More to come.

:cheers:

Neil

Attachments

• usd_stock_removed.jpg
    usd_stock_removed.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 85
  • usd_triples_installed_01.jpg
    usd_triples_installed_01.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 78
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Did you have to have custom triples made for this? or just the fork extenders?

Rusty

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Did you have to have custom triples made for this? or just the fork extenders?

Rusty

Rusty...You've got PM

Bought the triples a few months back off ebay, shopped the rest of the parts, and had COO make the extensions.

Neil

Attachments

• chrome_triples.jpg
    chrome_triples.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 40
Busa wheel or no? Also forks need to be extended unless you have dropped triple

Complete Busa Front (Wheel, Rotors, Brakes)

Cycle One Off Extensions

No Drop Chrome Triples By ???
Neil

Attachments

• usd_right_front.jpg
    usd_right_front.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 53
  • coo_extensions.jpg
    coo_extensions.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 37
  • chrome_triples.jpg
    chrome_triples.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 21
Gotta repaint front fender, and don't forget speedo now won't work..need different one with sensor pick up. Also what are the small holes in the extensions for??

Gotta repaint front fender, and don't forget speedo now won't work..need different one with sensor pick up. Also what are the small holes in the extensions for??

David....

Thanks for the tips...been planning this conversion for a long time. Would love to see yours..got any pics???

I'm making brackets for the fender I have painted already to match the rest of the Artfibras body.

Thinking about the 28xx speedo: http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/index.html , but, also like the: http://www.motogadget.com/en/msl.html#Versionen:

The extensions press onto the fork tubes, and the "holes" are 8mm set screws for added peace of mind. The top of the extension is milled to the exact thickness & diameter needed giving the top tree a ledge to sit on, so, there is no way these things will move around. Tom really put some thought into these, and they are true One Offs. The bike is less than 1" lower than stock as it sits.

I will want to have some sleeves fabricated to fill the space between the extension and the lower tree, but, I knew that already.

Just need to plumb the brakes, fabricate my fender bracket, and take a rest.

Neil

Attachments

• usd_installed_01.jpg
    usd_installed_01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 61
  • usd_installed_02.jpg
    usd_installed_02.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 61
  • usd_installed_03.jpg
    usd_installed_03.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 50
  • usd_installed_04.jpg
    usd_installed_04.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 61
David....

Thanks for the tips...been planning this conversion for a long time. Would love to see yours..got any pics???

I'm making brackets for the fender I have painted already to match the rest of the Artfibras body.

Thinking about the 28xx speedo: http://www.exactrep.com/acatalog/index.html , but, also like the: http://www.motogadget.com/en/msl.html#Versionen:

The extensions press onto the fork tubes, and the "holes" are 8mm set screws for added peace of mind. The top of the extension is milled to the exact thickness & diameter needed giving the top tree a ledge to sit on, so, there is no way these things will move around. Tom really put some thought into these, and they are true One Offs. The bike is less than 1" lower than stock as it sits.

I will want to have some sleeves fabricated to fill the space between the extension and the lower tree, but, I knew that already.

Just need to plumb the brakes, fabricate my fender bracket, and take a rest.

Neil

He has posted pics before but not in the garage.I told him today that he should.His bike is a work of art!!!!

Very nice Neil !!

I really like your work shop too !

Thanks Shawn!!!

I love my shop/gameroom/theater, too bad the wife frowns on it when she wants to watch a movie on the big screen:biglaugh:

I've been searching through Davids posts looking for pictures...any ideas???

Neil

My pics are in the members gallery. So the extensions fit OVER the busa fork tops (held by press fit and set screws) and the top milled portion fits in the top clamp? I assume there is a lip in the extensions to prevent the top of the forks from falling down?
Personally I've never heard (or seen) of it being done that way. Actually if you have old V-boost magazines, I wrote an article (with pics) about my set up. Maybe someone can fish it out. I don't have the mags anymore.
My extensions look similar however the milled part is threaded (with groove for O ring) to match the threads of the preload/adjuster top..so you unscrew the top and screw the extention in the fork. Then in the bottom of the extention there is a threaded hole for the preload top to screw in to. You have to machine the original fork top smaller to match the hole in the extension. The set up is rock solid

PS also did you re-spring and re-valve?

My pics are in the members gallery. So the extensions fit OVER the busa fork tops (held by press fit and set screws) and the top milled portion fits in the top clamp? I assume there is a lip in the extensions to prevent the top of the forks from falling down?
Personally I've never heard (or seen) of it being done that way. Actually if you have old V-boost magazines, I wrote an article (with pics) about my set up. Maybe someone can fish it out. I don't have the mags anymore.
My extensions look similar however the milled part is threaded (with groove for O ring) to match the threads of the preload/adjuster top..so you unscrew the top and screw the extention in the fork. Then in the bottom of the extention there is a threaded hole for the preload top to screw in to. You have to machine the original fork top smaller to match the hole in the extension. The set up is rock solid

PS also did you re-spring and re-valve?

David,

I have about 4 years of Vboosts laying around...any idea on the issue??? Sounds like a great setup you have!

Yes, the extensions have a large lip inside them that you can almost see in the picuture below.

Resprung the forks with racetech 1 kg springs.

Thanks again for the input :thumbs up:

Neil

Attachments

• coo_extensions.jpg
    coo_extensions.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 26
I found them under members gallery.

Davidon's bike

Attachments

• davidon.jpg
    davidon.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 46
Now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what color to use on these Gawd awful gold Hayabusa calipers!

It looks like my theme is purple (periwinkle to Chris :biglaugh:), black, and silver...any suggestions???

Btw: Think I have a design for the front fender mount that will allow me to use my old engraved fork brace for eye candy (even though it is almost 1/2" narrower than the fork span).

Neil

Latest posts

Back