Starter clutch bolts - tack welding?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
I may have to replace my stator - I'm going thru all the fault finding processes currently - but for now I have no questions about that procedure.
My question is about the starter clutch bolts, of which the peened ends will be exposed when I remove the stator cover.
I'm not having any starter problems ("that bag of rocks"sound) as yet - knock on wood- but, in the spirit of preventative maintanance , is there any reason why the ends of the bolts could not be reinforced with a MIG tack-weld?
The ground could be placed on a stud screwed into the puller holes, next to each bolt, to prevent current from traveling thru any bearings or fits.
Is this worthwhile, or am I thinking "too far out of the box" ???
Thanks in advance for the replies

I guess you could, but if the bolts stretch or somthing else goes wrong you would have to replace the flywheel assy.............I would not recommend it......................Tom.

i'd also wonder if it could throw off the balance?

PCW welds the starter clutch bolts when they install their heavy duty starter clutch. The problem with trying with the stock unit is that the center of the starter clutch is scintered brass which would have serious issues with the heat generated by welding. Your best bet is to remove your flywheel, send it to PCW, and have them install their setup so you know its done properly.

The starter clutch had been replaced before I bought the bike @ 17K miles and the bolts had been tack welded.

I have now reached 34K and all is still well.
On that basis it would seen that what you propose does not have any detrimental effects.

I have one of their setups and it's not looking like it's a difficult upgrade.

Sean

Back