Starter clutch issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just changed mine and it's still doing the clanking. Battery is 6 months old and maintains full charge on the trickle charger. Just changed the starter also. May swap the Battery just for sh--ts and giggles. I have a spare one.
The only thing I didn't do was put new Bolts. They looked okay except for 1, but they torqued up fine and I did peen the bolts. Guess I'm going to take the 2-Timing Bit--h apart again when I'm ready to install the New Master Slave. Now that the bike cranks right up, there's a bit less clanking though.

Some progress, the local motorcycle shop said that they can piece everything back together with some new springs and three new bolts. The starter gear was reusable and undamaged,might be because i stopped riding it since i didn't know what was wrong. Should have it back tomorrow.

Here's how loose the notorious three bolts were lol

Started on the removal of my bag of gravel issue. Checked for weak battery but it checked out, charging system is good no slow speed draw etc. Starter looked almost new inside with 4 brush version upon inspection so now i have the cover off following the how to guide on this forum thanks to Yukondave. No metel filings or broken/worn teeth in the casing so looks like my gears get a pass. Thats as far as i can go for now more to follow.View attachment 78958View attachment 78959
Hi Chug4Life, I'm a new 2004 owner and local to you as well (Cloverdale). My bike may be having similar issues as what yours is. I haven't even ridden mine yet, but going off of the previous owners description, it sounds like this. I'll keep an eye out on your post, just in case I need to do this for mine.

Thanks!

Hi Chug4Life, I'm a new 2004 owner and local to you as well (Cloverdale). My bike may be having similar issues as what yours is. I haven't even ridden mine yet, but going off of the previous owners description, it sounds like this. I'll keep an eye out on your post, just in case I need to do this for mine.

Thanks!
" Tom the machine" from Cascade Powersports will be your new friend. As a newb max owner i stopped ridung it when the noise appeared, tom says thats the only reason he was able to reduild it i woukd suggest the same or repair could easily go from 150 repair to almost 5-600 plus labour to fix

" Tom the machine" from Cascade Powersports will be your new friend. As a newb max owner i stopped riding it when the noise appeared, tom says thats the only reason he was able to reduild it i would suggest the same or repair could easily go from 150 repair to almost 5-600 plus labour to fix[

Last edited:
I'm getting prepped to do this on mine, hopefully next week. Your guide and others on the webs will help out alot!
Better off listening to some of these other guys. My mechanic abilities is not all that great. I am my biggest critic, ether hurting my arm patting myself on the back, or kicking myself in the A$$$.....:(

Latest posts

Back