Starter Clutch Problems AGAIN!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
I replaced my starter clutch this time last year with OEM replacement parts and had no more problems for the rest of the season. I rode all year and put it away last fall and all was fine it seemed. So this year the only motor work I've done is to replace my main clutch friction plates. They were brand new Barnetts and I only presoaked them minimally for about 30 minutes a couple of days ago. Last night I was doing an oil change and went to start the bike to top off the oil level and the mother wouldn't start. Turning over good but clutch pack not engaging. I took the cover off and verified that. All gears are fine. They engage the large gear on the back of the rotor correctly and it only spins (by hand) in the one correct direction as it's supposed to. The ends of the pack mounting bolts are protruding through the rotor and look tight. It's gotta be the little spring loaded pucks not spinning out and grabbing? What else is there? And being one season old OEM parts why would they be failing so soon and out of the blue? I'm stumped for answers. I'm getting ready to pop off the rotor next. But wanted to run this puzzle past you guys first for ideas. Could the new main clutch plates I installed with a possible stiction problem hang up the system and contribute to this problem?? I'm stumped and pissed off. A bad combination. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

If the bike is in neutral I don't see how the clutch plates could be a factor.

On another note, to verify if your plates are stuck or not, put bike in gear, pull clutch lever, rock back and forth. I noticed my OEM plates stick after sitting a bit. Not sure if the extra clamping power of the DD mod contributes or not.

If the bike is in neutral I don't see how the clutch plates could be a factor.

On another note, to verify if your plates are stuck or not, put bike in gear, pull clutch lever, rock back and forth. I noticed my OEM plates stick after sitting a bit. Not sure if the extra clamping power of the DD mod contributes or not.

Yeah, I'm skeptical about the two being related to each other too. But just wanted to mention it as background to my story since it's the only other thing I did inside my motor this winter........

Yea not related to each other. It sounds like the box of rocks sound? Typically the body either cracks and allows expansion so it can't hold, or it gets loose with bolts backing out. Of course I have a heavy duty option but you may just need to replace the bolts and go again.

Yea not related to each other. It sounds like the box of rocks sound? Typically the body either cracks and allows expansion so it can't hold, or it gets loose with bolts backing out. Of course I have a heavy duty option but you may just need to replace the bolts and go again.
]
Yeah, no box of rocks sound just gears whining. bolts appear to be tight and brand new oem plate and pucks. That's why I'm baffled.....

Video's almost always suck to hear sounds like this but can you make a short video and post it up?

I replaced my starter clutch this time last year with OEM replacement parts and had no more problems for the rest of the season. ...
P/N 11H-15580-00-00 In its entirety?

...start the bike to top off the oil level and the mother wouldn't start. Turning over good but clutch pack not engaging.

In order to make any meaningful suggestion I need to get descriptive terms straightened out. When I say:

"started" the engine is firing and turning over under its own power.
"crank" the engine is turning over using power supplied by the battery.
"clutch pack," the clutch assembly that connects the engine to the transmission. This has nothing to do with the starter.
"rotor" the magnetic wheel that induces power into the stator.
"starter clutch = P/N 11H-15580-00-00[/QUOTE]

They engage the large gear on the back of the rotor correctly and it only spins (by hand) in the one correct direction as it's supposed to.

Not a reliable test. The starter motor generates MUCH more force than your hand is capable of providing.

The ends of the [P/N 11H-15580-00-00?] mounting bolts are protruding through the rotor and look tight. It's gotta be the little spring loaded pucks not spinning out and grabbing?

Not so. You have already verified they are grabbing. Whether they are able to withstand the opposing force of engine compression is the question. I am not clear as to whether you are actually "cranking" the engine of just spinning the starter gears.

What else is there?
Something that happened between the time the engine last ran and now. NOTE: this eliminates ANY problem with the starter you replaced at the beginning of last year. Assume that repair is still good.

...Could the new main clutch plates I installed with a possible stiction problem hang up the system and contribute to this problem??

No. The two are separate systems. One "cranks" the engine. The other, connects the engine to the rear wheel.

ONE QUESTION WE MUST HAVE ANSWERED: Is the engine compressing as the starter turns it?

Does it say "whiiiiiiiing!" i.e. starter motor spinning but not locking up and turning the engine. Or

"yinketty, yinketty, yinketty, yinketty, yinketty" i.e. "cranking" against compression but not "starting" = firing.

Or "unnnngh...?" i.e locking up but with insufficient battery power to "crank" and subsequently "start" the engine.

Don't waste time disassembling the starter assembly.

Last edited:
After many years With starter clutch problems, I had a starter like the one Gen2 has instaled. Drilled New holes in the flywheel, then bolt on. I have 1500ccm bore, and the starter clutch is now engaging perfectly.

Video's almost always suck to hear sounds like this but can you make a short video and post it up?
Hi sean , I did my process of elimination,i finally got the box of rocks noise , not all the time ,,whats the best starter clutch to buy , thank you

This one from us

Attachments

• HD Starter Clutch Flywheel.jpg
    HD Starter Clutch Flywheel.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Heavy Duty Starter Clutch.jpg
    Heavy Duty Starter Clutch.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 57
I guess I got lucky ,flywheel popped off, sure enough loose bolts , no wonder it makes so mush noise , two were peeded , that must be factory spec, the two peeded ones were loose two took them out with fingers , had my kid hit with a12 lb sledge hammer, the next one method .a hilti hammer drill,

After many years With starter clutch problems, I had a starter like the one Gen2 has instaled. Drilled New holes in the flywheel, then bolt on. I have 1500ccm bore, and the starter clutch is now engaging perfectly.

Would you please be able to tell me what parts to purchase and the process you went through to install the gen2 setup. I keep having issues with the starter clutch and have had to replace numerous times. Now after installing yet another starter clutch (5th to be exact) all the gears turn but the clutch wont engage/lock-up. I'm soooooo tired and fed up with having to deal with this process over and over again. I really need to do a gen2 starter clutch upgrade just as you had. Any info you can provide would IMMENSELY be appreciated. I've push started my bike more than anyone ever should in 2 lifetimes, lol. Thx

Probably the same conversion we offer with the multi sprag conversion.

Attachments

• HD Starter Clutch Flywheel.jpg
    HD Starter Clutch Flywheel.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 13
Could be worse! Here are pics of a 79 CM400A I'm getting going on. I heard the"Box of rocks" and thought no problem, starter clutch. I don't have a manual and thought its such a simple little bike that I'd just pull a side cover and git'er done.....The screwdriver is pointing to the stater clutch. The crankshaft has to be removed to replace the starter clutch! The automatics parts are really hard to get. I found the N.O.S. ring in Britain and the roller's, springs and plunger's from two U.S. vendor's.IMG_20191010_193053448.jpg IMG_20191001_195306412.jpg IMG_20191013_143012251.jpg

Could be worse! Here are pics of a 79 CM400A I'm getting going on. I heard the"Box of rocks" and thought no problem, starter clutch. I don't have a manual and thought its such a simple little bike that I'd just pull a side cover and git'er done.....The screwdriver is pointing to the stater clutch. The crankshaft has to be removed to replace the starter clutch! The automatics parts are really hard to get. I found the N.O.S. ring in Britain and the roller's, springs and plunger's from two U.S. vendor's.View attachment 70318 View attachment 70319 View attachment 70320

Wow, yeah, I guess it could be worse. Hope that goes as smooth as it possibly can for you.

Latest posts

Back