Starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osiris

Reaction score
I have remove the rotor/starter clutch assembly. I noticed what looked to be little chunks of epoxy. Not a lot just a couple tiny pieces. Closer inspection I noticed the rotor is where it was coming from. The cover on the edge was slightly damaged previously. I have a rotor/starter clutch assembly from a 94 vmax. My bike is a 96 vmax. 94 parts have no metal cover inside of rotor. Minor differences but seems to fit. Anyone have insight on this issue. Can use the 94 parts on my 96?
229bdad294ccb8ab374ad72779773ca5.jpg
1fb5462359a3e7e14d906344aa428580.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to do this - had the rock crusher noise when I started her this am for the first time. Is this something I can put off until winter or am I going to do additional damage by starting it and riding it with this going on?

Not that this is going to happen to you, BUT, I figured I'd let my Vmax Brothers know what CAN happen,, Since it happened to me..

I had that Box of Rocks sound and I let it go for about a year. My fault, I know..

I noticed it would get worse after running the bike for a while, stopping it, then starting again.
I already knew the clutch screws where loose, but since I could double tap the starter when this happened, I could make it start up.

Well, feeling a little foolish, 30 miles from home and cruising with other bikers in the park, I revved her up to almost red-line, heading home..

The clutch has a thin metal plate that surrounds it.
The imbalance in the clutch, caused the plate to explode.
It sent shrapnel around the stator housing.
Chipped off a piece of the internal casing.
Ripped my pulser-pickup coil out of position of the magnet flywheel.

Of course, since the pulser pickup was no longer in place, I got no spark on any cylinders, leaving me stranded in the park.

Please note: I did not know any of this at the time an was shitting bricks, thinking I blew my engine.

After paying 75.00 for a cab home, then driving back with my tow dolly, I was able to get the bike home, then find out the severity of the problem. (it would have cost way more to have a Tow truck enter the park, then drop off the bike once out of the park, then take another tow service to get home.. (some state BS about tow services on park grounds).

Anyway, following Sean Morley's Videos on clutch noise, inspection, removal and replacement, I was back in action.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to do this - had the rock crusher noise when I started her this am for the first time. Is this something I can put off until winter or am I going to do additional damage by starting it and riding it with this going on?

Best addressed as soon as possible, as Darin can attest to. It's a one day job, and not too expensive.

Latest posts

Back