starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john rossignol

Reaction score
when your starter clutch goes bad ,or loose , does it only make the bad noise when you go to start ,or can you hear it while the engine is running

I have only heard the starter clutch operate poorly when it was engaged. Just replaced mine earlier this year. The springs and cams are not engaged while it’s running. However, if it is cracked past it’s threshold then the springs, pins, and pieces of the starter clutch will dislodge and severe damage could occur to the magneto, flywheel, and gears in the housing.

I had mine replaced a few weeks ago with a Morely hd unit and the mechanic failed to properly torque the clutch on. It sheard off the woodruff key and made a horrible noise. No start after that. Took it back and they did it right. All good now. Mine only made the noise on start up.

Welding is surely a permanent solution, no doubt. But if you do it again, grinding welds sucks. I did do it once, but deferred to the red Loctite method, and peening ever since.

Welding is surely a permanent solution, no doubt. But if you do it again, grinding welds sucks. I did do it once, but deferred to the red Loctite method, and peening ever since.
I did mine a few weeks ago with loctite and weld...are you saying this may fail again?

Went to start her up today ,and I got that box of rocks , noise , does not happen all the time ,whats the best starter clutch to buy???

Latest posts

Back