Starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milseyman

Reaction score
Pulled the fly wheel all 3 bolts for starter clutch sheared of is it worth drilling these out or just replace flywheel, once I pulled the flywheel it came away leaving the starter clutch and gear still in place🙈

Attachments

• 20220127_101339.jpg
    20220127_101339.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 29
This been the worst of the 2 starter clutches I have done

Attachments

• 20220127_103815.jpg
    20220127_103815.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220127_103757.jpg
    20220127_103757.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 37
I would try to get them out flywheels are not exactly cheap ! I have one if you end up needing it. [email protected]
Any knowledge of a Nasty Vibration coming from any moving components inside this housing?

Couple weeks back after shifting to neutral at a red light upon releasing the clutch lever I heard something free spinning inside the housing with not vibration per say it was more like the sounds a dry clutch might make. No problem with actual clutch but it’s don’t 6 or 8 times sense. Well I went to see a buddy about 65 miles away and started to get a tickle vibration at the pegs more on the left side of the bike that tickle turned into a full blown case of carpal tunnel. The bike still seems to be running pretty good but seems to maybe be louder then before

Thanks
Clyde

Never heard of anything from within the flywheel housing causing an issue when running but the only way to be sure is to have a look inside.
Is the vibration only evident when riding?
One area to check is the Middle Gear output shaft. I've read of these shearing off at the end.

Never heard of anything from within the flywheel housing causing an issue when running but the only way to be sure is to have a look inside.
Is the vibration only evident when riding?
One area to check is the Middle Gear output shaft. I've read of these shearing off at the end.
Thanks and yes only while riding also with the Vibration she may of lost a little of snap not as respondent to the throttle. Any easy or minimal way to look into the middle gear

Thanks and yes only while riding also with the Vibration she may of lost a little of snap not as respondent to the throttle. Any easy or minimal way to look into the middle gear
For middle gear, would need to remove rear wheel, final drive, swingarm and pull out the output middle gear assembly.

For middle gear, would need to remove rear wheel, final drive, swingarm and pull out the output middle gear assembly.
Yikes, would middle perhaps make the Vibration more pronounced on the left side of the bike. It seemed to have started Foot pegs, handle bars and seat. In that order

RELAX! The part in question is external to the Middle Gear which may make diagnosis easier.

Middle-gear sheared thread..jpg

I've never specifically looked at the Middle Gear for this problem. You may be able to see something if you pull the rubber boot back? I'm sure others will chip in if this isn't the case.

As I've not experienced the problem I can't say if it would produce a vibration on the left.

I've only mentioned it as a possible cause as it is a known, albeit rare, problem that can occur.
Before getting in too deep I would give the bike a good visual going over and check things like wheel and swinging arm bearings for excess play, the integrity of the exhaust etc.
Rule out the easy stuff first before starting to dig deeper.

Last edited:
Call cruciate it want to take a look at it when I get home this evening. I’m waiting on parts for the water pump to arrive anyways. I was going to just tearing down possibilities while i have down for the water pump. I want to ride one Moe time so I can spend time in Different years different lyrics and I’m pretty sure it’s all the same

RELAX! The part in question is external to the Middle Gear which may make diagnosis easier.

View attachment 82997
I have it torn now for the water pump waiting on parts. I’m going wait until I get water pump back together and running before I more on to the Vibration sure the two are not connected. I want to ride it one more time this time pay more attention to when it starts. Seems to be pretty constant and it’s incredible ass Tingling

I've never specifically looked at the Middle Gear for this problem. You may be able to see something if you pull the rubber boot back? I'm sure others will chip in if this isn't the case.

As I've not experienced the problem I can't say if it would produce a vibration on the left.

I've only mentioned it as a possible cause as it is a known, albeit rare, problem that can occur.
Before getting in too deep I would give the bike a good visual going over and check things like wheel and swinging arm bearings for excess play, the integrity of the exhaust etc.
Rule out the easy stuff first before starting to dig deeper.

Well whatever it is is giving you warning and you are picking up on it.
I would trouble shoot and identify whats going on before the issue can
do more damage and or strand you out at the farthest point leaving you
cussing up the "I should have" storm LOL.
Hopefully its outside the motor, though rare maybe that u-joint.

Latest posts

Back