Starter grinding

Discussion in 'Forum issues, problems, bugs etc' started by Thejeepdoctor, May 30, 2018.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. May 30, 2018 #1

Thejeepdoctor

Thejeepdoctor

Thejeepdoctor

Hello all, I’m new to this forum. I’m working on my friends 95 v-max. I believe it’s a 1200. When cranking bike it makes a grinding noise. When bike is cranking, it goes nerk nerk crunch, nerk nerk crunch. Is there any common issues with the starter overrun clutch? He has a Clymers manual, so I have an idea of what I’m getting into. Thanks.

2. May 31, 2018 #2

MaxMidnight

MaxMidnight

MaxMidnight

From what you describe it sounds like the starter clutch. This is a (relatively) common issue.

Assuming that is the case then replace all of the relevant components and consider a HD starter clutch replacement (something like this? but I'll let others make their recommendations).
    When re-assembling use permanent Locktite on the retaining screws and (important) use a gasket on the cover.

The main issue seems to be getting the flywheel off. This is normally due to a flimsy puller, with stretchy bolts.
    This arrangement works and in my experience, the flywheel comes off without any difficulty. I had to put a taper on one end of the pillars which isn't mentioned.

3. Jun 1, 2018 #3

Zeus36

Zeus36

Zeus36