starter/kill switch were to buy? and strange grinding noise from starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razor8

Reaction score
Hi all,

My starter button is about dead need to order a new one for 2003 Vmax any one have a good lead on parts the Ebay/Amazon route is sort of a rabbit hole of junk.

What got me started on this was the starter acasionly makes a weird ass grinding nose. I thought it might be loose but that does not seem to be the problem, can this be the "starter clutch" issue people talk about?

thanks fro your time
Christian

During my recent fuel pump issues etc. I had a moment when my starter was making all sorts of horrible noises. It was low voltage from the battery, due the high number & prolonged attempts at starting. Charged the battery & things went back to normal. As you're saying your starter button is fragged it may be not giving full voltage. I'd say get your button sorted out & then see what happens.

thanks I think I will order the switch first and see if that cleans up the noise. use watched a few videos of the starter clutch job... wile it does not look like fun it does not look like that big of a deal.

thanks I think I will order the switch first and see if that cleans up the noise. use watched a few videos of the starter clutch job... wile it does not look like fun it does not look like that big of a deal.
Using a good puller is how to do the starter clutch job. Sean, CaptainKyle, and MaxMidnight have all made numerous posts about the technique, the importance of using better-quality screws, and even making your own puller. Use the search function.

A low battery due to a defective one not holding a charge can cause issues with the ignition or the starter function.

The key to removing the starter clutch is Not to try to tighten the pullers bolts until it pops out, usually with great force or not at all because the puller bolts have bent. You tighten down the bolts then give the center one a good whack with a lead hammer and repeat until it gently pops out. An old school mechanic with new school skills showed me that technique.
My name is also Christian. Welcome to the forum. We’re an awesome community

Latest posts

Back