Starter Relay Works... No Start?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the bike back together this weekend and running but the starter butting won't start it! The relay clicks and everything but doesnt engage the starter. I took the connections off, cleaned then, and put them back on and still no go but if I jump between the 2 connectors the starter engages. What's going on here?

Here's a video

Did you test the starter relay and starting cutoff relay? If those test out move to the sidestand switch, side stand relay (if older model), neutral switch.

so far no go. I checked the side stand relay and nothing. How do I test the neutral position sensor? It's in neutral right now. and starter cutoff relay? Isa that the kill switch or what?

You mean nothing is wrong with the sidestand relay? It's the relay mounted just in front of ignition unit. The cutoff relay is under the left scoop. The relay unit houses the turn signal and starting cutoff relays. Apply power to red/black wire and black/yellow. Measure continuity between two blue/white wires.

To test side stand relay apply power to red/white and blue/yellow wires. Should read no continuity between black and black/white wires.

Test your side stand switch too.

Neutral switch is tested by unplugging connector...follow black wire from switch on left side of engine to it's connector near battery. Measure continuity with stand up and down.

I did not see where you crossed the relay wires but that would directly send the power to the starter and turn it over as you noted. It looks like it could simply be a bad starter solenoid. Was that it clicking when you hit the button?

Sean

If it's clicking but not making the starter turn over then it is bad. If it was something else then it would not even be clicking. Never tried taking one apart but you could do that and see what's going on internally. I think we've only ever had to replace one of two of them.

Sean

+1

If it is something from starting circut then starter relay wont click a thing.

If its clicking but want crank then 3 bad things possible:
-starter realy
-starter motor positive wire
-starter motor

Try to direct suply that relay and see what happens.

im sure you have check all other things but a bad ground will cause lots of issues, wont hurt to recheck that.

Before you do any of this, have you tried cranking it while jumping it with a car battery (with the car running)?

Just in case you simply have a bad battery - it's been know to happen.

Before you do any of this, have you tried cranking it while jumping it with a car battery (with the car running)?

Just in case you simply have a bad battery - it's been know to happen.

+1 seen that lots also a internal short that drains the batt, even if jumping, might be worth trying another if you got one.

is that why you bought it cause of the starting issue??? if you jump the terminals it starts right??

i bought the battery because the other one looks like it exploded, cracks in all 4 corners and full of blue stuff. If I jump the two connectors on the solenoid it will crank. I'm just working on getting the damn thing started now! She cranks really good but won't turn over. I pulled the plugs and decided that I'm gonna run out to auto zone and get some new ones after I'm done posting and I sheered off some of the plug wire where it connects to the coil for #3 or is it #4? ( left side back cylinder) I know she's getting gas because I took off the hose and filter and found gas coming out of it. I may just pull the air box and do a once over on sealing around the rubber breather things that are in there.

I'm not understanding, the engine isn't stuck because I sprayed in a little starting fluid and she just turned right over, ran for 3-5 seconds and puttered till she died. It's like I told my girlfriend, I think this bike is going to fight me every step of the restoration process.

We need to make sure what we are discussing here. You talk about won't crank and then say it turns over. Those terms mean the same thing to me. If it won't fire then that's another problem.

Sean

i said it cranked ( the churning of the starter to start the bike) and turns over for a few seconds and dies ( starts up and runs). The solenoid won't let me use the starter button due to the faulty solenoid. There's gas getting into the carbs, i think because it will crank at a decent speed for a little bit and then it will speed up and act like it's going to start but then it starts cranking slow again. If I put a little gas, like a small splash in each carb and crank it, i will start up and run good until the gas burns up and then it's back to cranking again.

When you pulled the plugs, were they wet or dry?

I'll have to pull them again tomorrow. I remember seeing them wet, maybe there's a coil problem. I'll test again tomorrow and find out for sure

We need to make sure what we are discussing here. You talk about won't crank and then say it turns over. Those terms mean the same thing to me. If it won't fire then that's another problem.

Sean

+ if it fires on starting fluid that definately points to fuel starvation.

Latest posts

Back