Starter Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkman

Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the starter?
I just purchased a 1999 VMax with a starter issue. I'm not sure what it is, it sounds like a bendix spring (if they have one) in the starter, but the guy I bought it from said he had the left eng side cover off so I am thinking the starter clutch could also be an issue. He said he took the cover off because he needed to tighten the 3 bolts on the flywheel.

So..., I'm trying to decide which way to pursue first?
I was thinking removing the starter and seeing if the gear extends out to engage the eng (flywheel?) would be easier, but I am out of town at the moment so I thought I would check with the experts.

Is there a "how to" for removing the starter on the forum? I searched but did not find one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Good info, thanks.
As look at it closer, it seems that the starter gear does not move in and out as power is applied. If that is the case, the starter clutch sure looks like the issue. So glad yukonerdave posted such good info on how to repair it.

Thanks

Good info, thanks.
As look at it closer, it seems that the starter gear does not move in and out as power is applied. If that is the case, the starter clutch sure looks like the issue. So glad yukonerdave posted such good info on how to repair it.

Thanks
Yeah the info available here is amazing.
Just be sure you read all the way through those threads, there are a lot of good tips added by other members on those guides.

You should grab the Service Manuals too:
Yamaha Service Manual
http://www.mediafire.com/view/edvviql9vvpjdea/VMX12_Service_Manual.pdf
Cyclepedia Vmax Service Manual I converted to .pdf format (This is a very good manual with full color pictures):
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ijkrhi5pnanyn1a/1985-2007_Yamaha_VMX1200_V-MAX_CP_Manual.pdf
Haynes Manual:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/7lebvvopyqmbhfy/Haynes_-_Yamaha_VMX1200_V-MAX_85-03.pdf

Can't beat yukondave or DMANN for priceless info.:clapping:
Thanks, I just try to help point out the relevant info when needed. ;)

Dennis, I can honestly say I have learned more from you than anyone else on this site. Thank you.

Dennis, I can honestly say I have learned more from you than anyone else on this site. Thank you.
You're Welcome. :D
I'm glad I could help out and pay it forward for all the help others have given me with my Vmax over the years.

Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the starter?
I just purchased a 1999 VMax with a starter issue. I'm not sure what it is, it sounds like a bendix spring (if they have one) in the starter, but the guy I bought it from said he had the left eng side cover off so I am thinking the starter clutch could also be an issue. He said he took the cover off because he needed to tighten the 3 bolts on the flywheel.

So..., I'm trying to decide which way to pursue first?
I was thinking removing the starter and seeing if the gear extends out to engage the eng (flywheel?) would be easier, but I am out of town at the moment so I thought I would check with the experts.

Is there a "how to" for removing the starter on the forum? I searched but did not find one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

As others have said, probably the starter clutch going south. However......
assuming the battery is up to snuff, is the bike turning over fast enough to start the bike efficiently?
Are you able to contact the previous owner, to confirm that he used a new gasket when re-installing the L.H.S. cover? If only a sealant was used ,the starter gear train will bind, as the clearances are tight, and were designed with the thickness of the gasket in mind.
If you don't think a gasket was used, you can back off all the cover periphery bolts a tad (maybe half a turn), and then try the starter . If binding was occurring, it will turn over faster.
Posting a video with a sound byte of the noise would also be helpful, for diagnostic purposes.
Cheers!

Back