Starter went "Kablooey!"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I did that. It just spins. Sounds like when you test a starter motor that's not on the bike, just spins.
I dunno....

u didn't happen to hit the starter with the cover off to take a look did ya?

well do the rollers grip the shaft ok? or do they slip?

I would just get new springs, caps, rollers and bolts put it back together with red locktight. Make sure you get the 3 bolts really tight and peen the ends if you can and the starter clutch will be fine.

The rollers and caps look fine, no damage to them at all, just the galling the photos. I can't find one single mark in them. The galling on the first idler gear shaft in the cover is worse than this.

When I turned the flywheel over, there's the starter clutch, right? I could not access the bolts with the ruined threads. I had to sping the clutch around by hand to access the bolts through the holes in the clutch cover. Is this right?

Looks like you caught the problem in time. Get some new bolts and put it all back together.

Sean

Yay!

Ya'll about tired of me saying thanks? Too bad, I really appreciated the help and I'd still be scratching my head over it if ya'll hadn't taken the time to walk me through it.

BTW, is there anything to the thing where you clean the starter?

And...how hard is it to fix that o-ring in the oil pump where you pull the oil pan?
Since the bike is down for a few days waiting for parts, and the oil is out, and it's on the lift, I thought I'd do some more stuff to it.

Quote 'And...how hard is it to fix that o-ring in the oil pump where you pull the oil pan?'

I'm sure that others will correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to think that the '01 motors had the modified delivery pipe? These allegedly don't suffer the problem?

It's time consuming rather than difficult.....and be prepared to get oil running up your arm! :barf:

You have four choices:
  1. When you drop the sump is the O ring still in place? If it is then is it really likely to pop after nine years of running? No, I don't thinks so either. Bolt the sump back up and enjoy the rest of your life. :rofl_200: Provided you let the motor warm up before you start giving it some welly all will be well.
  2. It has popped? Fit a Kawasaki oval O ring, part # 92055-1147
  3. Fit the 'Engine saver bracket'.
  4. Check to see if the later delivery pipe is fitted - if not fit one.

Thanks, I did a lot of reading up yesterday...I don't push that bike hard at all. I mean, it's so blistering fast after the Harley I traded for it, I'm still amazed it hasn't left me aside the road either...abusing that machine would be like stepping on an angel's toes.

I don't ride that hard. I certainly don't push a cold engine, ever.
For now I'm going to wait for parts from Sean and get it back on the road before the weather cools off and I have to fit a (gasp) windshield.

Yep, you got lucky and nothing broke in the clutch. It just got so loose that it wouldn't catch anymore. Mine was loose, and would miss when the motor was cold. Eventually it would catch, but it was annoying having to press, spin...wait, repeat like 50x every time I started the bike for the first time of the day.

Clean all the oil off the bolts and the flywheel, add the RED loctite, and re-assemble it. Torque them down good, it should never bother you again.

The o-ring seems to fail early, or never. I always give the motor at least a minute of idling before riding, more if it's cold, and then I go very easy until the temp needle starts to rise.

Email me the list Jenn. I can get it shipped while I am waiting, Don't forget your address.

Sean

We are shipping today. Got the payment and note. Still like to get the email with the contact and what we are sending verification too.

Sean

Back