Starting issue after putting on its side

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vladthedog

Reaction score
The TL;DR version of my solution: Always use an actual gasket on the stator cover. I just used RTV at first, and it's spec'ed so tight that it binds up without the spacing provided by the gasket.

I leaned it over yesterday to do some work (was having an oil leak near the stator wires, so I took off the cover and used some right stuff to seal around the grommet). After doing my work, I put it back up and started it. It ran for about 5 minutes with the choke, so i turned the choke off. Another minute or so I reached over to rev it a bit which it did for a few seconds, and then it stumbled. Now I can't get it started again. If I pull one of the fuel lines from a carb nothing comes out when i turn it over. The fuel pump isn't clicking either (and this is after I drained the carbs to see if it was because there was too much fuel). I pulled the fuel filter and just eyeballed it; didn't see anything wrong. I'm at a loss as to whats going on. I hooked up the fuel pump directly to the battery and it sounds like it should. Could I have done something with the stator wiring that would cause this, or should I ignore that part of things (if something is wrong with the stator, wouldn't that just mean it wouldn't charge? I have it hooked up to a battery tender ATM because the constant testing is wreaking havoc on the battery). The last time I tried to start it, while holding the ignition button, you could hear it firing but it wouldn't catch and run on its own.

Thanks in advance. Getting frustrated and not sure what my next step should be.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will work but I have been experiencing starting issues.

Open the gas cap, if you here pressure pushing out as you open it, put it back on and try starting it.

If not maybe there is a tip over switch?

i got all excited when i saw your post about the tip over valve, but it's doing the same thing even after I've pulled the line completely. fired a few times but didn't catch.

I leaned it over yesterday to do some work (was having an oil leak near the stator wires, so I took off the cover and used some right stuff to seal around the grommet). After doing my work, I put it back up and started it. It ran for about 5 minutes with the choke, so i turned the choke off. Another minute or so I reached over to rev it a bit which it did for a few seconds, and then it stumbled. Now I can't get it started again. If I pull one of the fuel lines from a carb nothing comes out when i turn it over. The fuel pump isn't clicking either (and this is after I drained the carbs to see if it was because there was too much fuel). I pulled the fuel filter and just eyeballed it; didn't see anything wrong. I'm at a loss as to whats going on. I hooked up the fuel pump directly to the battery and it sounds like it should. Could I have done something with the stator wiring that would cause this, or should I ignore that part of things (if something is wrong with the stator, wouldn't that just mean it wouldn't charge? I have it hooked up to a battery tender ATM because the constant testing is wreaking havoc on the battery). The last time I tried to start it, while holding the ignition button, you could hear it firing but it wouldn't catch and run on its own.

You ran it for 5 mins with the choke on?
Sounds like you fouled the spark plugs.
Which line are you pulling from the carbs? The line coming from the electric fuel pump?

It may not have been a full 5 minutes. Turned off choke before it really started revving. I will pull plugs next to see how they look. I'll check spark while I'm at it. I pulled one of the fuel lines of the carb on left front (the line connected to a junction of sorts that then ran to the fuel pump)

It may not have been a full 5 minutes. Turned off choke before it really started revving. I will pull plugs next to see how they look. I'll check spark while I'm at it. I pulled one of the fuel lines of the carb on left front (the line connected to a junction of sorts that then ran to the fuel pump)

Ok, that is sounding like the voltage in your battery is running out and cannot keep the electric fuel pump running. Plugs will probably look fouled.
Would like to take a look at a battery that will last 5+ years at great price with a ton of cca's?

Well you had said the fuel pump wasn't clicking. Is it clicking if you flip it to reserve?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance. Getting frustrated and not sure what my next step should be.
Again i am confused- in your title you say "putting it on its side" then in the first line you say "leaned it over"--- so now my question is did you drop it over on its side? Because that will hit will cause your floats to out of adjustment also. What type battery do you have as it could have leaked acid out. You could also moved two diaphrams in the fuel pump causing it not to run right.... If you have the 4 overflow tubes to a stock airox your air filter will be drenched in gas.

I leaned it over gently onto a tarp draped over a rolled up sleeping bag. It wasn't completely horizontal but it was close. I have a stage 7 setup so no air box.

If the fuel pump isn't clicking a few times when you turn the key, look no farther at plugs ign ect until you fix that problem. I would check the fuse first.

Gonna start working on it this morning. Could someone just confirm that even if I did something wrong with the stator, it wouldn't affect starting?

more excitement this morning. Before even attempting to start it, I decided to test a few electrical things.

- I checked all fuses (both in fuse box, and the main) -all good
- I checked the fuel pump relay per Haynes - worked fine.
- I checked the starter relay - it was clicking on/off like it should
- I checked the starter circuit cut-off relay - worked fine
- I checked the kick stand and clutch switches - seemed fine

This is where things get wonky. fuel pump wouldn't click on its own, but everything else was turning on as per above (making the usual starting sounds). I pulled the diode block and tested it, and it seemed to not be working (but using a multimeter is new to me). I plugged it back in anyway, but from here on out, nothing would work. When I turned the key, the only indication it was even powering on was the neutral light would come on. everything else sounded dead. (battery was fully charged though, and was still on battery tender). I pulled the diode block again and re-tested, and obviously still failed.

So I'm going to order a new diode block, but am concerned that this isn't actually my main problem, but caused by something i did while testing. Up until this point it seemed like everything was working fine except the fuel pump stopped turning on (it would work if tested independently though). I also don't see how the diode would suddenly just fail like this. Thoughts? obviously can't do much until a new one comes in, but am worried i'll possibly damage the new one as well if that wasn't the cause of my problems.

Did u happen to wash the bike right before all this started? These diode packs are very suseptable to moisture.

I'm at a complete loss. I swapped out the diode cluster, and still issues. It went from starting (but having issues when giving full throttle), to turning on but the fuel pump not engaging to now nothing except for a headlight and neutral light when i try to turn on. the battery is fairly new, and just sitting there hooked up giving off about 12.3 volts. my battery tester says its a good battery, plus its on a battery tender. I've checked all the various switches I can link of (clutch, starter, kickstand). I even plugged in the old/stock TCI (I have the ignitech).

I'm to the point where I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and finding someone to fix it, but thought I'd see if anyone had any last ideas first?

My bike wouldnt start at 12.28. I called Sean, and he said that you need atleast 12.5 volts. As soon as I swapped the battery for a new one.....havent had any issues since.

It was weird.....the bike would die, and I could get it restarted, but the first issues I noticed where that the fuel pump wouldnt click anymore, and V-boost would no longer cycle when you turned the key on.

My bike wouldnt start at 12.28. I called Sean, and he said that you need atleast 12.5 volts. As soon as I swapped the battery for a new one.....havent had any issues since.

It was weird.....the bike would die, and I could get it restarted, but the first issues I noticed where that the fuel pump wouldnt click anymore, and V-boost would no longer cycle when you turned the key on.

i mis-remembered when i wrote he above post. I just re-checked (NOT on the battery tender) and its at 12.61.

Back