Starting my hunt for a V-Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepfreak81

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm excited to be here, looks like a great forum and I've checked out some of the stickies already such as the one in the FAQ section.

I'm starting to save up for a new (to me) bike. My current ride is a 1981 Suzuki GS850 G, which I like but I've always loved the looks of the V-max. Also I'm sick of the electrical gremlins on the GS, it's just not worth the time and money for me to upgrade everything. It gets me around and is fun to ride but it hasn't aged that well. I can't complain, picked it up for $500.

Anyway, I'm looking for some opinions about coming over from that bike to a V-Max. I'm a tall rider at 6' 4" so comfort may be somewhat of an issue, but the GS suits me just fine. I don't mind wrenching, upgrading, and tinkering but I want something I can ride, not fix all the time so how's the reliability on these bikes.

I know I'll need to watch out for the 2nd gear issue, I don't want to split the case, went down that road with a DRZ400 I had. Anyway, I wanted to pop in and say HI, and maybe get some suggestions and opinions on what to look for or if this is really a bike for me? Gonna be a while before I can save the $3k they are going for around here.

If you want to see and hear all kinds of Vmax's come to thunder in the valley in Pa june 22nd thru 25th Day's Inn (also known as the Vmax inn) . Meet and greet fellow riders and enjoy the fun and most of all welcome to the forum !!

Getting a seat re-done with extra foam may offer you more comfort, it probably should be firm foam. There are several alternatives to the stock seat. Sean Morley does one, and Corbin makes one but it's expensive. In my trials, a Corbin is for larger guys, especially if you aren't a slim build. Look at the banner at the top of the forum, and see if there's another remanufacturer of seats there.

I love my Vmax, but I wont lie, its a cramped bike and Im 6'2. I have a maxgasser seat which is a little lower than stock which didnt help the cramped feeling of the bike but sitting lower is better with the windscreen as im more in than on top of the bike so I dig that, besides Its a super comfy seat. I chose to use highway pegs to stretch out on the open road and its decent enough. I got some Refined Cycle highway pegs and even those didnt let me stretch out, too close to me, and too far inward so I got some karyakyn (however its spelled) 3" offsets which moved the pegs outward and forward 3" and its perfect. Im sure there are ways to make it comfortable for your height. I Dont find it suitable for 1000 mile days but it is comfortable now, and oh so much fun for day and weekend rides. Besides there are tons of HDs around here to school and somehow that never gets old. Its a very easy bike too love, besides I've wanted one since 85.

One of my first bikes was a GS850L, silver with a 1/4 cafe racer fairing, wouldnt keep the battery charged nomatter what I replaced or how often. It had worse electricals than my early Triumph 650 but otherwise a fine bike.

Welcome and good luck finding a suitable scoot.

I got bit by the V-Bug when I was 17 years old. Couldn't afford it back then, but it was the meanest mother in the shop,, and that was a used 87. I told myself back then, that if I ever got the chance, I'd get one. 4 years ago, goofing around on craigslist, I found a guy selling a 91 that was less than 2 miles from the job..

I'm 51 now.. Some dreams just wont leave us alone till they come true. :)

Hi everyone! I'm excited to be here, looks like a great forum and I've checked out some of the stickies already such as the one in the FAQ section.

I'm starting to save up for a new (to me) bike. My current ride is a 1981 Suzuki GS850 G, which I like but I've always loved the looks of the V-max. Also I'm sick of the electrical gremlins on the GS, it's just not worth the time and money for me to upgrade everything. It gets me around and is fun to ride but it hasn't aged that well. I can't complain, picked it up for $500.

Anyway, I'm looking for some opinions about coming over from that bike to a V-Max. I'm a tall rider at 6' 4" so comfort may be somewhat of an issue, but the GS suits me just fine. I don't mind wrenching, upgrading, and tinkering but I want something I can ride, not fix all the time so how's the reliability on these bikes.

I know I'll need to watch out for the 2nd gear issue, I don't want to split the case, went down that road with a DRZ400 I had. Anyway, I wanted to pop in and say HI, and maybe get some suggestions and opinions on what to look for or if this is really a bike for me? Gonna be a while before I can save the $3k they are going for around here.

People from 5'7" to 6'6" ride the Vmax, everyone does some mods to make them more comfortable. If someone was to master the the seat so it was not a problem rather than less of a problem they would sell a bunch. "THIS IS JUST MY OPINION NOT FACT"

These Vmax's may be too long of a haul for you from my home state of New Hampshire

I'm guessing you are looking for a Gen 1, there are a few really good one, the 2005 I believe is low milage and not that high priced. I am sure there are plenty closer to you.

welcome to the forum you will love it here.

https://fargo.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=vmax&sort=rel

Last edited:
Check the carb/tuning section. Tons of sticky threads in there to walk you through everything carb related.

1. The shotgun. Clean your carbs on the bike. Works ok for minimal pilot circuit issues. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=111

2. This is about main jets but covers carb removal very well. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3570

3. This covers a full cleaning and assembly. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5830

4. Set float level. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1427

5. Verify wet float level. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17274

6. Adjust vboost cable. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4361

7. Synchronize. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3959

Plenty more info in other stickies too. I suggest reading them all if you are diving into the carbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm loving mine. I'm not super tall but have a 34" inseam and definitely feel a little cramped after 100+ miles. I am thinking about a different seat option and maybe some highway pegs - nothing worth giving up the bike over!

It's not the best handling thing, or the most economical on fuel, but it makes up for it in spades on the straight stretches :)

I looked at 1 before I bought mine...it was pretty clear it hadn't been maintained or treated as well as he told me on the phone before I saw it.

"2 valve adjustments within 25k"
- every valve cover was leaking
"perfect condition"
-bent radiator, leaking fork seals, no brake pads left, etc, etc

I recommend taking a headlamp with you and looking for leaks after running it and that will tell you a lot.

I'm loving mine. I'm not super tall but have a 34" inseam and definitely feel a little cramped after 100+ miles. I am thinking about a different seat option and maybe some highway pegs - nothing worth giving up the bike over!

It's not the best handling thing, or the most economical on fuel, but it makes up for it in spades on the straight stretches :)

A few guys have made the seats better but nobody has mastered it yet so you don't get numb nuts after an hour of riding....

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Not that likely I'll get to PA for Thunder in the valley, but I live 1 hour from Laconia and hit bike week each year. Maybe I can find some friendly VMaxxer that'll let me sit on his/her bike.

I'm expecting to be somewhat cramped. I don't have much room on the GS either, plus I lean over so after a while of riding it gets a bit uncomfortable. Daytona bars helped some. I come from a Dirt bike background, my first motorcycle was a YZ125, years later I graduated to a DRZ400 which I loved but it wasn't very road friendly. So enter the GS850 a couple summers ago. It's got serious electrical gremlins, some of which I've fixed but really it needs a new stator and some upgrades. Not really money I'm willing to throw into it considering it's age and condition.

Well, time to read lots more stuff here I guess and start saving my pennies!!

Does anyone change out the bars or risers to get them out a little further?

Oh, also......I hear some buzz about how these bikes aren't known for handling. What can I expect? I'm mostly a 55 and under rider, don't spend much time on interstates and don't have a need for high speed. Acceleration and just cruisin' is what I like. That being said I dont' want something that handles like crap. I do know that the 93 and up model got some pretty good upgrades to the handling? Anything else to consider here?

Only time I've been concerned on mine is taking the twisties at 10 over the speed limit ...but I've only owned mine for 2 months and half of that has been snow. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable as time goes on. It's fine, really...just don't go into it expecting it to handle like everything you're used to.

I put superbike bars on mine - and immediately was more comfortable with stance, and even a bit with handling...but I was used to them on an old Yamaha Triple I had.

There are things you can do for handling and brakes. I slid Progressive fork springs into mine and kept stock height for comfort. It was a big improvement for a small investment. Solid engind mounts are another. Some guys here swap out the rear rim to run radials and I guess thats a huge improvement but not cheap so I skipped that. You can buy radials to fit front but not for our funky size rear rim, there is a lot of info on radials. I hear these bikes can handle damn well when some changes are made. Mine is very good with bias ply tires and runs the hills well but its no CBR.

R1/R6 calipers are nearly a bolt on option too for brakes and you can get those cheap nowadays. I did the R6 calipers and GalferHH pads on my Venture (+300 lbs over Vmax) and it stops with amazing ease. Again tons of info here on that.

I think you can count on highway pegs straight away. Keep us posted!

A vmax handles just fine. It takes a bit more effort to haul ass on twisty roads than a newer bike but it can be done.

Its not a sport bike. Its a 625# cruiser designed in the early 1980's. It does quite well for what it is.

Electrical problems are NOT uncommon on older vmax. Its not uncommon on any used motorcycle that is 30 years old.

The motors are pretty solid. 2nd gear is a common issue on many bikes that are rode hard.

The most important thing is to buy one that was well taken care of. It is was, it should last a long time. I'd look for a '93+ vmax. They have larger forks, better brakes, and updated electrical system.

A vmax handles just fine. It takes a bit more effort to haul ass on twisty roads than a newer bike but it can be done.

Its not a sport bike. Its a 625# cruiser designed in the early 1980's. It does quite well for what it is.

Electrical problems are NOT uncommon on older vmax. Its not uncommon on any used motorcycle that is 30 years old.

The motors are pretty solid. 2nd gear is a common issue on many bikes that are rode hard.

The most important thing is to buy one that was well taken care of. It is was, it should last a long time. I'd look for a '93+ vmax. They have larger forks, better brakes, and updated electrical system.

I know electricals are a problem on anything older, the Suzuki GS series was bad right out of the gate. Stator and rectifier, not to mention the pointless headlight loops made charging an issue even brand new. I wouldn't mind upgrading that stuff if my bike was in better condition but I picked it up on the cheap and have put minimal $$ into it. It's a bit of a pig too at over 600 lbs, a bit top heavy, and mine could use some new fork springs and oil.

In any case, sounds like if I can find a Vmax in decent shape I'll be good to go. My wallet might get in the way of that, I have a tendency to buy stuff that needs work because my ability to wrench on stuff is greater than my wallet is deep.

Thanks for the insight!! Will probably be looking for something in the 93-99 range based on price and features. Need to sell some of my other junk so I can start looking.

I had a '78 GS550E at one point in time.
I fought charging issues the whole time I owned it so I know where you are coming from.

Captain Kyle is working on one now I think and One2dmax (both on this forum) probably has a line on one if not several - I highly recommend and absolutely trust both of them - then you you won't have to turn a wrench right after buying it.

Since you have a wrenching background, you should be able to do maintenance things easily. If you truly are a mechanic, getting a VMax with a bad 2nd gear, splitting the cases, fixing that, and making some oiling changes could get you into a bike cheaply. If the bike starts, rides, and stops fine, but it jumps out of 2nd on hard acceleration, that's the ticket for a good mechanic. I don't think I would go more than $1200 for a bike like that, because you could spend a few hunderd dollars for parts, to more-than a thousand bucks, going with replacing several gearsets and shift forks. If it's got a rod knock, choose another bike. The #3 big end rod bearing is a known problem.

No, handling isn't a 'widowmaker,' like a Kawi Mach III, which had a rearward weight bias because of the position of the engine in the frame, and a peaky powerband that made the bike difficult to control, not to mention the first year was equipped with a drum front brake!

The bike benefits from replacing the front fork springs w/aftermarket springs, changing the fork oil, and replacing the fork seals if they leak. But it's worthless to replace the fork seals if you have pitting on the fork downtubes where the oil seals wipe. Replacement of the downtubes and then the oil seals is the only way to fix it!

Steering head bearings can be dimpled from too-many enthusiastic wheelies leading to iffy handling, weaves and wobbles, due to a combination of the bearing races being deformed with dimples, and too-loose torque. Replacement isn't hard, one of the outer races is a bit difficult to remove, but if your steering head bearings are shot, it's got to be done. Look for Sean Morley's video on the 'bounce test.'

The hydraulic systems, that would be the brakes and the hydraulic clutch, need fresh, clear fluid, and someone who knows what they're doing to work on them, as your life depends upon their proper functioning, kinda important! HH rated brake pads for the front are what I prefer, and a stock pad composition isn't bad for the rear, as a skilled rider can have so-much weight transfer, the rear wheel is barely in-contact during hard braking. Longer-wheelbase bikes do better with having a useful rear brake, and the VMax is no 55 inch wheelbase sportbike with a steep steering head angle.

Decent shocks on the rear will be more comfortable, will aid handling, 13" eye-to-eye is stock, anything less than that, and you're trading-off ground clearance.

Soldering the stator wires to the regulator/rectifier input will increase your charging system function, a good MOSFET regulator/rectifier will also run cooler and last longer, while giving better charging regulation.

Two new quality tires, sized correctly, will greatly help handling. Getting the modded rear wheel, and running radials addresses all-sorts of handling issues. You're not on a 400 lb 600 supersports you're on an early 1980's traditionally-suspended and braked design that can be substantially-improved by doing things many riders have done before you, with good results.

More firm foam in the stock seat, maybe a different handlebar bend (I like a 'superbike bar') and the case guards that were a stock Yamaha accessory will give you room to shift your seat, and add comfort for a taller rider.

Leave the big-bore engine mods, the turbos and superchargers, the nitrous, to after you become used to the bike, and have a couple of seasons under your tires. By then, you will know what you want to do, but keeping the engine stock and becoming a better rider is always a way to gain confidence in your bike's, and your abilities.

The Vmax handles better than most cruisers today, but it can't keep up with most standard or sportbikes. The great news is, it can handle much better if you listen to the experts on this site, they can tell you exactly what the most cost-effective modifications are to transform your Max into a better-than average handler.

You can go mild-to-wild or anywhere in-between on a Vmax, all that will stop you is time, skill, or money. If you have at least two of these you can really make it your own.

Good luck!

Back